Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Tina

Posted by andy on July 12, 2001 at 11:52:26:

Hey Ken,

Just go the “How To” articles on this site, plus the “Money Making Ideas” articles and read them all. Reading all the articles will give you a great foundation as to what aspect of real estate you wish you pursue. And best of all: THEY’RE ALL FREE!!! Just print them out. I printed the ones I really liked and the ones I would most likely refer back to in the future and put them all in a 3 ring binder.

Good Luck,

andyFL

Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Tina

Posted by Tina on June 27, 2001 at 13:11:12:

I am sooo excited! My CS “No Money Down” course material will be here sometime within the next couple of days. I can’t wait to start learning all I can. I am very highly motivated to change my life and this is the start of that change. I know that I will make this work and that I will prosper from it. However, during my very few and fleeting seconds of doubt, I think about my current and past credit history and cringe. hehe However, I refuse to go on working as a secretary for so little money, living (barely) from paycheck to paycheck. There have been some positive and some negative responses to others who are or were in my situation. I know I may have to work a little harder than others due to my income and credit and I am prepared to do that. I do not want to go with the lease option right now. Granted, I do not have all the info yet, and that decision may change. I would very much like to talk to some other people who are either investors or CS students in my area of Tampa, FL. Thanks everyone for all the info on the forum!!

Tina

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on July 07, 2001 at 16:08:53:

I live in the tampa area and have done lots of deals over the past 3 years.I started out with C.S Its a basic course to get you started.

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by dave

Posted by dave on July 03, 2001 at 22:23:50:

Tina, I too am in Tampa market and have been doing this for a little while. Hang in there it will get better. If I can help let me know. Feel free to drop me a line at ibuyinvestprop@aol.com.

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Zac

Posted by Zac on June 28, 2001 at 14:44:47:

Tina…I feel you completely. I refuse to continue working for individuals who have a fraction of a fraction of my intelligence. Anybody today working a 9 to 5…if yoo ask them if they are makin enough $$, theyd say “no”. Living paycheck to paycheck is, in my opinion, a suicidal way of life!! NEVER entrust some other person(s) with your financial health and well being. Lets talk more, Tina. I am your brother in “the fight”

Re: Future Real Estate Investor–HI TINA - Posted by shawn kaleta

Posted by shawn kaleta on June 28, 2001 at 11:35:15:

Tina,

Wow, sounds great. I just grad. from Purdue in eng. and have been doing real estate since 18, now i am 22 and moved to anna maria island were i only do real estate investing. The CS course i recommend (even though i have never bought it). I just quit my engineering job and live on the beach. If you want to chat about real estate email me at skaleta@yahoo.com

Shawn

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Stu Silver, Trainer

Posted by Stu Silver, Trainer on June 28, 2001 at 07:37:47:

Tina,

Congratulations on your first two steps - the first is a decision to change your life, and the second is to feed your mind to implement the change.

Tampa is a great place to start. I live 2 hours away, and I have done over 20 auctions in Tampa - there is plenty of inventory for a beginning investor.

My advice would be to start in the moderate income areas, and look for cosmetically distressed properties. There is less competition for these properties, so you can buy them under favorable terms (i.e. little or no money down, with a price discount). Once you buy the property, you can force the value up and either rent it for positive cash flow, or flip it for a profit.

My experience has shown that the two main ingredients to a no-money-down deal are a motivated seller, and trust between the seller and yourself. If there are little or no offers for a property because it looks and smells terrible, the seller will be motivated. If the seller sees little or no cash, and must wrap, assume, lease/option, etc., then the seller needs to trust you to make the mortgage or lease payments.

After all, as a seller, wouldn’t you rather sell for full value, get quick cash, and move on your way? I have found in the middle and upper income areas of a city, there usually is less motivation on the part of the seller because there are plenty of cash buyers for the property.

I wish you the best of luck, where luck is defined as opportunity meeting preparation and sweat.

Stu Silver, CCIM
Lead Trainer at Russ Whitney’s Millionaire U
Licensed Broker, Mortgage Broker, Auctioner
Registered Real Estate Appraiser, C.E.C.

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Doris - Va.

Posted by Doris - Va. on June 27, 2001 at 19:58:09:

Tina - I forget the most important thing! Read everything you can find on this site. You will learn so much and the information is free.

Everyone on this site shares what they know to help others - including newbies - to be successful in REI.

Doris

Posted by Doris - Va. on June 27, 2001 at 18:45:27:

Tina - I forget the most important thing! Read everything you can find on this site. You will learn so much and the information is free.

Everyone on this site shares what they know to help others - including newbies - to be successful in REI.

Doris

Posted by Doris - Va. on June 27, 2001 at 18:41:24:

Hi Tina - Welcome to Creonline!

I have the Carlton Sheets course. I got it from a friend. If a person knows nothing about real estate investing, this is a good place to start.
Most agree that it covers a wide area and gives you the basics plus the price is reasonable. This is good for a beginner.

Study it well and when you become familiar with all the terms and how things work, you will begin to have greater confidence.

Later you can get some of the more in-depth courses and books.

Try to find someone else who is interested in real estate investing and get together. Maybe go to your local REI Group to meet like minded people.

Don’t talk about this too much to family, friends or people who won’t understand. They will think you have lost your mind!!!

I am a newbie but have studied books and this site for quite a while.

Now I am actively working on several deals. I have a working partner who is very knowledgable and has done some deals before. He is a park manager and I have known him for several years.

Keep in touch and I will let you know how my deals turn out and what I did to close them.

Also let me know how you are progressing.

Best of luck.

Doris

Re: Future Real Estate Investor–HI TINA - Posted by Zac

Posted by Zac on June 28, 2001 at 14:50:43:

Hi Shawn. I noticed your reply to Tina’s posting. Id be interested in talkin with you also, if yoo have the time. Feels great to be free, huh? Lets dialogue…it would really help me a lot. Youre young and already seein success in this game. Im 35 and im trying to fire my boss!! Anything you can share would really be appreciated. Thanx.

Posted by Zac on June 28, 2001 at 14:58:55:

Powerful, sound, real advice!! Thats something I really appreciate. It was nothing less than the hand of GOD that made REI Online pop up on my screen while surfing last week. I feel so blessed to have found this site because I know it is my way out of the “rat race”. As of right now…a count-down has begun to fire my boss. A big thumbs up to REI Online.

Re: Future Real Estate Investor- Stu - Posted by Al

Posted by Al on June 28, 2001 at 14:03:33:

Sterling Stu. I think your advise is really great and quite timely in most cases. You provide some interesting ideas, especially for new investors. Your advise to Tina is excellent. You, as I think you have been advised before are by far the stand out of the RW Org that used to post here. However, I think your credits at the end of every post are a little much!CCIM, Lead at Millionaire U, Licensed everything, Appraiser and C.E.C. You seem to give the appearance of one who brags a bit!. That might be turning some people off. Just a thought!

Posted by Zac on June 28, 2001 at 15:06:05:

Thats very encouraging, Doris. Its nice to know that newbies arent treated as “nobodys”. Theres so much info conveyed on this site…I cant begin to tell yoo how much Ive printed here at the library. They only allow you 20 sheets a day (Ive printed nearly a phone book worth!!) But, that really is a comfort, Doris.

Re: Future Real Estate Investor–HI TINA - Posted by SHAWN KALETA

Posted by SHAWN KALETA on June 29, 2001 at 11:39:02:

Do you have a phone number? I will call you.

Mine at Procter and Gamble is 5136222051.

I can help. I know how you feel with bosses.

Shawn

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on July 11, 2001 at 19:22:07:

Stu,
I really apreciate your attitude and sencerity, I can pick it here in Seattle. Stu, how can I find a group of investors where I can go and sit at their feet and learn and maybe be mentored? Where would I start to look?

Ken

Re: Future Real Estate Investor - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on July 11, 2001 at 19:21:05:

Stu,
I really apreciate your attitude and sencerity, I can pick it here in Seattle. Stu, how can I find a group of investors where I can go and sit at their feet and learn and maybe be mentored? Wher would I start to look?

Ken

Re: Future Real Estate Investor- Stu - Posted by CJ

Posted by CJ on July 02, 2001 at 15:08:16:

Al,

I’m sorry, but I disagree with your comment regarding Stu bragging about his credits. As a beginner myself, I’m trying to learn as much as I can about rei before I leap into the business and I would feel more comfortable getting advice from someone who has been there and is successfull themselves. Being new to this website as well, I would not have known that this feedback was coming from someone who is obviously very successful and because of his credits, I respect whatever advice he has to offer. I think he (and anyone who offers feedback) should continue putting their credits at the end of every message, so the newcomers of this website will know who they’re getting their advice from.

CJ

I did the same thing!! - Posted by andy

Posted by andy on July 05, 2001 at 13:55:09:

I printed almost every “How To” article and made a textbook out of it. I refer back to it all the time!!

Re: Future Real Estate Investor- Stu - Posted by AL

Posted by AL on July 02, 2001 at 15:38:05:

CJ. Ah contrare!.. Most experienced investors are leary of anyone in this business that propmotes himself and seem to brag about his accomplishments, expecially using high sounding titles. Credits do not certify anyone as really knowing what he is telling you or having any real experience in the investment business. Beware those who do, they are probably out to sell you something. Although Stu seems to be the best advice giver of the Whitney organization, his compatriates who posted here awhile ago and RW himself, do not enjoy a sterling reputation with the old hands on this site, the ones you see everyday giving continual excellent advice, with no charge and no motion picture type credits. They don’t need any. Most of them are here to help you, with no gain expected. That is not the case with those who post their credits and advertise.