Furnace Problem - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by rise2it (VA) on October 21, 2005 at 08:45:31:

As long as you’ve got 200 amp service, you’re talking about 300 bucks for a NEW electric furnace.

If not, you could convert from 100 to 200 amp for probably $700-$1000, plus the $300 for the furnace - still much less than his rediculous quote…

Furnace Problem - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on October 20, 2005 at 09:07:34:

My first Lonnie deal buyer, who puchased back in May of this year from me, just called and said the furnace has gone bad. It worked when he bought it and he recognizes this.

It’s a duo-therm furnace and he’s had someone out to look at it. They replaced the thermocouple but the problem is that the valve has gone bad. He’s made some calls to local heating/cooling guys who have all told him that since the home is a 1976 and it’s an original furnace, that they would not be able to get parts, or repair this valve. New furnace quotes have been around $2500. They told him even if they COULD find a part for it, it would likely cost around $500.

I sold this home for only $3500 in the first place (it’s a junker). I feel bad for the young guy especially since he has a newborn and no heat, and can’t afford a new furnace.

Has anyone run into this problem before of not being able to get parts for an older furnace? Any workarounds or solutions less expensive than replacing the whole thing?

Re: Furnace Problem - Posted by Mike/nc

Posted by Mike/nc on October 24, 2005 at 12:34:50:

I just had a new gas heater put into a 1974 sw. The heat/ac man told me that it would cost lots more to heat it with an electric heater. Which is what I originally wanted. He doesn’t sell either so I guess he would be makeing about the same to install either. This older home doesnt have as much insulation as the newer ones nor does it have double windows and doors.Which is the reason he advised against electric.

I mean this in a good way: Duh! - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on October 20, 2005 at 13:05:49:

finance a new furnace for him! Adds a few bucks to his payment, and to your income.

The furnace is HIS problem, not yours. You did sell it cheaply, and this is one of the reasons why. I don’t mean to sound callous and hard, but it is what it is: AS IS.

I can buy a new furnace for $500, and get it put in by an electrician for $25. Check mobilehomepartsstore.com, they ship:

and finance the guy for $2000. Cheaper than the contractor, AND affordable payments?

You’re a hero!