Folding Doors - Posted by BB

Posted by Mike Scarbrough on June 16, 2011 at 20:37:14:

I would not use folding doors in your rehab. They don’t look good and are not durable at all.

Solid doors are much more durable, but hollow doors are a lot cheaper and can be fixed if damaged (up to a point).

I have had luck using folding doors, curtains and blinds for closets but would not use them for room entrances.

-Mike

Folding Doors - Posted by BB

Posted by BB on June 16, 2011 at 18:04:25:

I am rehabbing a single-wide in which the previous landlord was in the process of fixing. He took the bedroom doors/frames out and sheet-rocked around the entrance.

I have read somewhere where a landlord replaced all hollow interior doors with folding vinyl doors. I see that I have plenty of choices at Lowes and HD at around $26.00 each.

Has anyone installed folding vinyl doors in their rentals? If so, were they easy to install? How durable were they?

Re: Folding Doors - Posted by Dan Dawson

Posted by Dan Dawson on June 17, 2011 at 08:17:19:

I agree hollow core doors would be the best choice. I would go to a Habitat For Humanity restore for doors. They usually run $5.00 per door.

Dan

Re: Folding Doors - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 16, 2011 at 18:10:10:

I have gone the other route. In the few homes that I had that had folding doors they never lasted. I found one alternative or another over the years. I don’t believe I own any homes at this time that have folding doors.

I just don’t like the long term durability, but that is just my take.

I am not sure what the seller did but if you had to reframe the closet to fit the doors it wouldn’t take much time or money. The hollow core doors run about $19 or so at lowes last I recall.

Tony

Re: Folding Doors - Posted by BB

Posted by BB on June 16, 2011 at 20:14:24:

Thanks for the feedback. What about solid vs hollow core
doors in terms of dollars and durability?