fire - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on July 06, 2008 at 11:57:23:

the insurance will end up determining what is the final outcome.

seemed like same people were still setting off fireworks yesterday when we were at the park.

buyer just called, someone broke the door in and stole his dvds and player last night. it just doesn’t end, does it?

Brenda

fire - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on July 04, 2008 at 21:01:16:

had the neighbors call, one of the mhs burned, rumor has it was fireworks,

blessings:

1. no one hurt
  2. insurance was probably current
  3. home payment was current
  4. buyer has his cricket account current and phone takes messages
  5. I did not have insurance on the home when I was working on it, and it took a while to get the buyer to get the policy, but it was on it for probably the last 6 months.

challenges:

1. buyer not answering his cell phone
  2. despite asking the buyer repeatedly for other phone numbers, I don’t have another number for him

I just am sitting here feeling a little numb, wondering how it will all work out, and feeling a little sick to my stomach. again, no one was hurt, since my aquaintences in the park would have called me back with that information.

got a hold of a neighbor out there, seems like it was the back bedroom in the home, screen is out, also just talked with the fire chief, and they definitely know the battery smoke detector was working, I said, oh You could hear it yelling “fire, fire”? …

gotta laugh or you cry ya know?

Brenda (OH)

Re: fire - Posted by Frances

Posted by Frances on August 03, 2008 at 23:08:01:

Which raises a question from a newbie…When buying a MH should I immediately get insurance myself in case something happens BEFORE I find a buyer or do I just take my chances in the gap?

I checked with a local agent and they said if the place is empty they can sell me a renters policy for a couple hundred a year but it can only remain unoccupied for 30 days and then I have to convert to another type policy.

Could someone please tell me what you do about this?
Also if there IS a fire who does the check go to.
I’ll be listed as lien holder but what prevents the owner from taking off with the check and leaving me with a burned up heap?

Re: fire - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on July 07, 2008 at 03:42:33:

Brenda,

Sorry to hear about the fire and glad there were no injuries.
I’m interested in how your negotiations with the insurance company progress.
Keep the board updated as you move along.

Good Luck
Glen (OH)

Re: fire - Posted by Todd(AZ)

Posted by Todd(AZ) on July 06, 2008 at 13:22:08:

Just one more reason why I never turn over keys until I (they) have an insurance policy in place showing myself as the lienholder. Can you imagine how this might have played out if the fire happened during the “took awhile to get insurance” period? You would get zero.

Help your buyers (and yourself) get the insurance in place by either recommending someone to them or just go down with them on closing day to insurance office and hand keys over right after insurance is in place. I’ve never had a problem this way. Todd(AZ)

Re: fire - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on July 05, 2008 at 19:41:21:

Oh, Brenda, I am so sorry to hear about your fire! That is my biggest fear. I think smoking, candles & fireworks are the biggest fire hazards, so I officially ban the latter two & my best homes are rented solely to non-smokers.

When we kept our boat in a marina in Newport Beach CA we always had to spend the 4th of July on board because there were idiots who had nothing else to do but go out in the harbor & set off fireworks. Everyone on our dock spent the night of the 4th watching for wayward rockets.

Your buyer w/probably call you to tell you he doesn’t want to make payments on a burned up trailer. I’m glad you persisted on making him follow through on insurance. You can likely contact the insurance co. even though it is a weekend, & you’ll need to interact w/the PM, 'cause he/she is going to want to know about clean-up. Your fire dept. w/likely have advice there.

I’m glad no one was hurt, & hope you can get this matter resolved quickly. If you replace this trailer, remember to get one that you don’t have to rehab!

Tye

Re: fire - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on July 07, 2008 at 21:08:20:

Tye, you got me to thinking, I better go check the boat. I won’t lose any sleep though, I forgot about it while I was typing the last post. Gary

Re: fire - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on July 07, 2008 at 21:03:13:

I’ve had 2 fires in the last month. Tenant owned burned by owner thinking he was a plumber with propane torch. The other one was burned by 2 children who are not residents left at grandparent’s houses to roam and raise hell in the park. Fortunately this one was vacant but belonged to me. Mr. Self Insured, Gary