Finding a Buyer - Posted by John

Posted by Marty (MO) on August 18, 2005 at 20:15:49:

I must’ve been sleeping through that post- thanks again Steve.

Better hurry, I already ordered and your beer’s getting warm!

Finding a Buyer - Posted by John

Posted by John on August 17, 2005 at 23:29:00:

Two and 1/2 months ago I purchased my first mobile home for $2,500. With monthly lot rent and materials for “fixing it up” I have about $3,600 in it now. I have it priced at 6,800 with financing available. It’s a 1971 Skyline in a nice park in and very good condition. I’ve placed an ad in the local Thrifty Nickel in which most homes are advertised; I’ve passed out fliers to other park residents offering to pay a referral fee if one introduces me to a buyer; I’ve hung fliers around town; and I’ve spoken to the postman and a utility service man on the route, offering them a referral fee if they locates a buyer. So far, I’ve had very little response. Any advice on locating a buyer? I’d appreciate any feedback.
John
Boise, ID

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by osupsycho (OK)

Posted by osupsycho (OK) on August 18, 2005 at 09:00:48:

The responses below are great and on target but I would like to add a little more to it. I would suggest you look at WHAT you are saying in your ads. I have found that the way you word the ad will have a huge impact on how many and what type of people call. I had this same problem on my first home and did an archive search on here for ads and found some great info. I used the info I gathered and it went just the same for me. When I advertised:

“Stop Renting. Own, Will Finance, 2/1, $750 Down, $300/mo, 24 mos, includes appliances and shed, 123-456-7890.”
I got 12 calls and several lookers but no buyers. So I decided to tweek the add to the following:

“Stop Renting. Start Owning, Will Finance, 2/1, In Park, Low down payment, easy terms, 123-456-7890.”
This add seemed to be absolutely worthless and the day it ran out I hadn’t gotten a single call. I then starting getting a little worried (shouldn’t have but it can be easy as you have seen) so I quickly ran the following ad:

“Must Sell! Owner Finance: 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath, In park, low down payment, Monthly payments under $250/mo. 123-456-7890.”
This ad got 5 callers but no real buyers. But at this time I did get a late call from the second ad and it turned out that though I only had one person call on that ad he was my buyer and so far has worked out perfectly.

I don’t really know why the ad without #s was the best for actually finding a buyer but it turned out that way. This is just what the old posts said (It still blows me away how much knowledge is on here if you look hard enough!). So my suggestion would be to change your ad around to see what works best for you but not be worried because the one that worked best for me only got one phone call!

I also did have a call off of my lawn sign in front of the trailer as I was finishing up the sell but that is all that came from that sign (though I think they would have bought if it was available). Next time though I am going to use a suggestion from JT to put up those flags on a string going from the corner of the trailer to the sign. He said he always has them get stolen but it has never failed him getting it sold.

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by Mark Haugsten

Posted by Mark Haugsten on August 18, 2005 at 24:39:25:

Keep it up, and tell everyone. I got a real good bite today at checkout at the Office Max. I was buying a marker for the For Sale signs!

“Did you find everything, sir?”
“No, now that you mention it, know anyone who needs…” (that was the whole point of being there, anyway!)

10 minutes later I am talking to the young lady at the copy center counter. Keep it up, and keep the referrals offered. She wants to call tomorrow, and can she bring her father, since she does’nt know what to look for? Tina, the checkout girl does not even know I have a referral program, or that I caught her name. I am determined to pay her, though, if her positive response is a material part of my sales lead! So, let me include integrity when a buyer does turns up!

You did not mention plastic signs on the corners?

I also suggest you compare it to apartment rentals, and put up flyers in nearby apt. laundry rooms, push price comp., and privacy, with home ownership including washer/dryer (if true).

Local big box employee break rooms, especially at Home Depot, where the emplyees will have fixup exp., input, and instruction available. I’d push proximity to work in these break rooms, what with $3/gallon gas coming by the end of the month.

My latest PM conversation included the hint that if I want 40% more market, use the local Spanish language newspaper. Boise may not be as populated as Austin, but you got more dang ferners there than many care to admit, and they want to live somewhere. Mexicans with even poor language skills, to my experience, understand that referral fee plan in about 2 seconds.

College just started this week, did’nt it? Put it in the student paper. It’s not too late, but it is usually cheap.

just my .02

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on August 18, 2005 at 12:01:55:

Develop your statics with a grain of salt. You might get a great response with one ad, then run the exact same ad a month later and get no calls. I’m not saying don’t pay attention to the details, but this business cycles wierd, and the buying public is quirky and unpredictable. At least that’s been my experience.

Its most noticable during the month of December. This past December I sold a bunch of homes during the weeks before and after Christmas. For some reason everyone needed to be in a home by January 1st. Yet the December before was dead.

If 5 buyers call my ad, do I conclude that my ad was cleverly worded, or is it just 5 desparate people who happen to all need a home at the same time?

Karl Kleiner

flags . . . hmmmm - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on August 18, 2005 at 11:38:25:

where would one find these . . . flags?

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by John

Posted by John on August 18, 2005 at 06:23:21:

I do wish my day job could go away sooner than later because I do enjoy this. My first sell was to a mexican family who had one english speaking member, At the closing I presented a translated copy of purchase agreement and promisory not ( the smiles on the other two adults involved was worth a million bucks)In my briefcase I now carry translated copies.
Your sales approach offers me new hope for my upcomming units that should be done by the end of the month.
Thankyou
John

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by osupsycho (OK)

Posted by osupsycho (OK) on August 18, 2005 at 14:16:24:

My plan was to keep adapting as needed. I was hoping to have a few different style ads that I would rotate as needed and start with whichever one worked best the last round. My point was that don’t stay with just one ad and keep running it. I believe that saying is:
“insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

Re: flags . . . hmmmm - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on August 18, 2005 at 21:40:20:

Steve,

I’ve noticed that everytime JT’s flags are stolen, witnesses say they saw a man with a goatee running from the scene of the crime. Can you explain this?

Karl Kleiner

Re: flags . . . hmmmm - Posted by JT

Posted by JT on August 18, 2005 at 15:28:15:

I get mine at Home Depot and you will probably have to ask an employee where they are(usually with the flags that mark pipelines and not near the for sale signs???) I hate to sound like a broken record here but don’t forget to grease those PMs. On more than one occasion I have been sitting in the park office chit chatting only to meet a buyer off the street. A little cash might entice a hungry PM to send those your way.

Re: Finding a Buyer - Posted by Marty (MO)

Posted by Marty (MO) on August 18, 2005 at 08:38:28:

I love the translated copies of your contracts- how did you have them translated?

Any more, our best referrals come from the park manager, signs in the homes (thanks Michael and Steve!), and previous buyers.

go here - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on August 18, 2005 at 11:36:05:

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/55311.html