Excellent ideas from CS right away - a newbie - Posted by Tom Walker

Posted by Rick(MD) on August 15, 2002 at 16:32:10:

Tom,

I apologize… Sometimes the written word sounds much colder than intended. I should have included more explanations in my post.

With the knowledge you get from the Sheets course you are ready to start digging deeper and asking the right questions. But from the posts I see on this board it gives just enough to make a new investor very dangerous! I would be very concerned for anyone going out into the investment world armed only with this knowledge.

My advice to you is to check the archives for opinions on the various courses offered on this site and other places and go a little deeper. I applaud you efforts and you will be successful if you keep at it, but before you put your money and your reputation on the line, check out this site some more. Just go to the archives and put in any topic you are interested in and mor than likely you will more information than most course can provide. Study REAL investors like Joe Kaiser, William Bronchik and Steve Cook and others who still do this every day. Join a local investment group and try to get first hand knowledge of the types of transactions you are interested in. I am a REALTOR and investor since 1986 and I still get blind sided every now and then. Learn how to protect yourself.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Excellent ideas from CS right away - a newbie - Posted by Tom Walker

Posted by Tom Walker on August 14, 2002 at 14:50:43:

One of the VHS tapes (I have only looked at a couple so far) had a couple of GREAT ideas for starting quickly and ‘safely’ - I think. Feedback? ::

1. Rehab and sell fast by staying below market at sale (sacrifice greed for speed)

2. Pre qual buyers faster and easier by giving up some profit - if needed - to provide a FREE downpayment FOR THE BUYER. (Not sure of mechanics - you write the buyer a FREE downstroke check - not sure how you COVER that money yet, but have ideas - THIS I NEED INPUT ON!)

3. Motivate RE agents and brokers to help find and sell ripe properties by allowing for their commissions - including using RE pros to locate REOs and send directly to you. (I am partnering up with an agent - a NEW agent who is MOTIVATED to get it going)

4. Use partners to get started

I already have two perfect partners lined up and we are starting - I KNOW #4 is right if you have people you TRUST.

Other feedback on ideas to start safely and quickly?

Re: Excellent ideas from CS right away - a newbie - Posted by Rick (MD)

Posted by Rick (MD) on August 15, 2002 at 10:16:55:

I have no idea what’s in the Carlton Sheets course but if these GREAT ideas are the highlight of the course then you better get your money back…now.
Get a course or two with more in-depth and practical instructions. Good luck.

Rick

Re: Excellent ideas from CS right away - a newbie - Posted by Tom Walker

Posted by Tom Walker on August 15, 2002 at 10:57:44:

There may be more info IN the materials - i just started looking it over. But rather than criticize, suggest more specific resources or refinements, please! Off the cuff denigration is NOT helpful. I treat the CS course as an overview of REI, not a bible. That opinion seems prevalent in the notes I see here.