estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by chris

Posted by len on June 15, 2006 at 14:13:19:

I called “BathFitters” in on a current lite rehab job just to see what the cost of their 1 piece tub / shower surround would run me (Not sure if Bathfitters is nationwide… I am in NJ) and got a quote of $2400.00 !! Ridiculous. I can do the whole bathroom for $2400.00. !!

estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 14, 2006 at 22:18:56:

Someone suggested just putting an insert in the tub as well as the surround as 1 piece. Is this a good idea or should I plan on buying a new tub and surround separate? What type of cost would I incur on this?

Re: estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by ts

Posted by ts on June 18, 2006 at 15:05:52:

What you put in a bathroom should be determined by what the rest of the neighborhood offers, whether it’s a rental or a home for sale. If your comps typically have more upscale tile tub surrounds, then you should install the same or you may be hurting yourself in the long run.

First check out the difficulty of removing the old tub. Access to underneath the tub is key. If too hard, you could go the plastic insert route or perhaps refinish an old cast iron tub and then install new tile surround. If you can remove the old tub, $350 will buy you a $200 new lightweight American Standard tub from Home Depot plus some great tile for a new tub surround.

If you are doing this yourself, it’s not that hard to screw tub drain pipes apart/together. Also, if needed you will want to install new faucets. If you are handy, you can cut and solder copper piping pretty easy to install a new faucet. Or you can pay someone by the hour to do the more skilled labor items. If you have the walls open, the old stuff out, and the new fixtures bought and ready to go in, then it’s pretty easy for hired help to see what he’s dealing with and give you a low fixed quote.

Re: estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by Max-Va

Posted by Max-Va on June 14, 2006 at 22:37:41:

If this is a remodel I suggest a 4 piece unit, a 1 piece will not fit thru most all doorways.

A 4 piece unit at lowes or Home Depot will run you about $350 & up plus faucet.

Re: estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 14, 2006 at 22:58:32:

how much should I expect to pay someone or would you suggest a beginner tackle this job?

Re: estimated cost on a tub and shower surround? - Posted by Max-Va

Posted by Max-Va on June 14, 2006 at 23:07:26:

Depends on what you are replacing. Type of floor,slab or crawl space. How much drain line and supply lins need replaced as well.
The last one I did was on a crawl and it cost me about a thousand total for plumber $400 tub $475 needed gray and faucet $100