Electric Heat with renters - Posted by carl

Posted by Rich-CA on May 09, 2007 at 17:43:27:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I would worry about steam/hot water systems only because to the extensive damage that can be done by leaks. Electric is less expensive to maintain and, unlike gas, you do not have to worry about carbon monoxide such as is produced by a malfunctioning gas furnace.

Electric Heat with renters - Posted by carl

Posted by carl on May 09, 2007 at 11:48:30:

I’m thinking about making on offer on a property. The house fits my criteria of what and how I like to buy.

Only catch is that it has electric heat instead of hot water/baseboard (which I normally go after).

Because electric heat is so much more expensive to operate, do you think it will be hard to get good renters? (I make my tennants pay utilities).

Common knowledge is that electric is more expensive than gas, so I just don’t want to lose possible renters because of this.

The good side of this is that it is less to maintain electric heat, but that doesn’t help the renter.

What do you think?

Thanks

Carl

Re: Electric Heat with renters - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 12, 2007 at 16:04:44:

electrci baseboard is the cheapest to install, but around here is the most expensive to operate.

tenants are wise to that and here ar least those units rent for less, and have more tenant turn over.

I prefer gas, clean burning and requires less maintenance and less intital installation cost to oil.

My ideal would be gas hot air with central air, but I’ve had gas hot water. gas steam, oil hot water, oil steam, oil hot air and electric heat pump.

Many people like the electrci heat pump as it is cheaper to operate than the baseboard electrci and has central air.

Re: Electric Heat with renters - Posted by Dean in NC

Posted by Dean in NC on May 10, 2007 at 10:32:47:

I’m doing just the opposite. A house I’m rehabbing has gas, while crawlspace wasn’t locked up someone stole the copper gas lines and I’m thinking of adding baseboard heat when I offer it for rent. Not only because of the gas lines being gone, but because I’ve had so many calls in the past from people looking for a place who had a balance with the gas co. and couldn’t get their heat turned on!