Dying carpets - Posted by ScottM (NC)

Posted by ScottM (NC) on March 26, 2004 at 14:14:35:

Thanks Steve, Since no one else responded I guess maybe no one has tried or was scared away by the process. Even searching online I couldn’t find any DYI info. A bunch of companies doing it but I haven’t found anyone in my area.
I guess in a nutshell, its a bad idea.
Thanks for your input.

Scott

Dying carpets - Posted by ScottM (NC)

Posted by ScottM (NC) on March 25, 2004 at 18:03:17:

Anyone ever tried dying a capet in a MH? One the homes I just bought has decent carpet. It is a cranberry/maroon shade but has sun bleached? lighter areas. If it were one color it would be fine.

It also has a wasps nest somewhere in it. They were coming out of a hole in the ceiling… Today was a fun day!!

Scott

Re: Dying carpets - Posted by Steve Contois

Posted by Steve Contois on March 26, 2004 at 11:32:29:

Hi Scott. I might be able to help here. I still have a JOB and its managing a flooring distributor. I have seen many investors hire carpet dying companies to dye carpet and have yet to hear from a satisfied customer. The carpet may be solution dyed depending on the type of carpet and may not take the dye and then you would have a big mess. My suggestion would be to replace the old carpet if its real bad. You should be able to replace the carpet for .60-.70 sf and install yourself if the rooms are under 12’. If you want to pay someone to install its only .50 sf roughly. I would never mess with the dye. Good luck.