Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Kac

Posted by Richard on August 24, 2007 at 10:32:04:

Oh, and of course the more obvious…is there termite damage? Is there water damage from internal or external sources? Is it a legal duplex? If it has brick or stone work, is the mortar sound?

Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Kac

Posted by Kac on August 24, 2007 at 07:49:33:

Has anyone had any dealings with a house built in the mid 20? I have a pretty good opportunity to purchase a duplex at a great price. I know the roof will need replacing in 3-4 years and the electrical box needs replacing, it has the screw in fuses. I was curious as to what else I should be looking for being that it is so old?

Re: Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on August 24, 2007 at 20:50:30:

Dry rot (old lumber has more time to develop it).

Foundation cracks - foundation and basement tech is much better now.

Lead based paint.

Asbestos.

Plumbing.

Check the wiring itself. probably does not have proper grounding. You may need to redo all of the electrical system.

Heating system. Have they updated the furnace, water heater.

Re: Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on August 24, 2007 at 10:06:08:

Well, depending on local practice at the time, and what, if any, updating the structure has received over the years, and how many unqualified people have worked on it over time, there is plenty!

What type, and condition is the foundation? Are the floors all level or are there big dips indicating possible structural issues, such as missing or deteriorated support beams? Is the plumbing supply side all iron? Unless it has been replaced expect clogged lines, low flow, inoperable valves. What is the drain system? Any updates? If not, likely there are lead pipes near the fixtures, which are usually cracked and leaking at this age. You mentioned the electrical panel…how about the wiring? That old, is probably “knob and tube” unless it has been updated. Not enough outlets, and no ground wire to change your two prong outlets to three. If ANY electrical circuits have been altered, (short of a complete upgrade) you have at best a 50/50 chance they were done properly! How about the windows? Are ANY of the sash cords still in place? Do all the windows operate properly? How bad is the paint and glazing on them? The entire structure was originally painted with lead based paint. If it has been allowed to peel and crack a lot, you now have lead contamination of the soil around the house. Floorcoverings, siding, attic insulation, are all likely to contain asbestos.

Other than that, you’re pretty much good to go…

Re: Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Kac

Posted by Kac on August 25, 2007 at 11:17:21:

I appreciate the response from everyone, it has been very helpful. My wife and I looked at one side today, couldn’t get in on the other, and it’s a pretty nice place. Except, the tennant told us the roof is leaking, not bad, but a leak is a leak. Also, we found out that the roof had been recently braced because of weak supports. I’m more of a average handyman than a carpenter so I’m really concerned with the bracing. It look pretty sound , several 4x4s but, I think a pro should check it out. I didn’t get to check the floor supports because the other tennants had the only access to the basement. From what I could tell, the floors are pretty level and are hardwood. I did’t check the wiring so, we will check it, hopefully Monday. Everyone, thanks again.

Re: Duplex built in 1925 - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on August 24, 2007 at 14:10:19:

Good post and advice Richard. The only other thing that immediately comes to mind is Lead Based Paint probably abounds in this old house.

Personally my wife and I love the old Craftsman Houses and just bought one built in 1928 as a vaction home.

Had it inspected and other than the roof it was fine.

Good Luck,
Bill H