Dual Lease Issue - Posted by D Shankj

Posted by Rich-CA on June 25, 2007 at 15:11:09:

Have you told the landlord you do not want this person living in the unit and do not want them on the lease? If not, then remind the landlord that modification of a signed agreement requires all original signers to agree, and that you do not agree to the changes - making the change invalid.

You should be aware that your verbal agreement to sublet is also a contract that, if the lease forbids subletting (and mine all do) has already violated the lease. You may have also violated the lease when you allowed another adult to live in the unit. What this means is if you cannot get your landlord to willingly remove the other person that was added to the lease, she could decide that you should be evicted for breaking the lease in bringing in the additional person to begin with. So if you really don’t want to live with this other person, you might prepare yourself to move since you broke the lease by having her stay in the first place.

Check your lease. You may not have had the right to do what you already did.

Dual Lease Issue - Posted by D Shankj

Posted by D Shankj on June 25, 2007 at 12:33:31:

I have an issue where I signed a lease with my landlord and I am the only person on the lease. 3 months ago I subleased one of the rooms (per a verbal month to month contract). The other renter just talked my landlord into allowing her to sign a lease for the property as well. I no longer wish to have this person live at my residence. Its my understanding that you can only have one lease at at a time. Can someone please help with how i should approach this considering I do not wish to live with them anymore.

Re: Dual Lease Issue - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 25, 2007 at 13:14:17:

Ask the landlord to see what he had the roommate sign. Also check your lease to see if there is a requirement that all adult residents be on the lease. He may only have added the roommate since he was already in the property.

Re: Dual Lease Issue - Posted by D Shankj

Posted by D Shankj on June 25, 2007 at 13:28:40:

My landlord stated that she added her to the origional lease agreement that I signed. She did this without my knowledge or authorization. What can i do to have her removed from the property?