Don't let what you cannot do, get in the way - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 11, 2002 at 23:15:33:

Kristy:

Your journey toward success and your zeal for telling the story are both exciting. Keep upward and onward, and continued enjoyment from your accomplishments…

JT-IN

Don’t let what you cannot do, get in the way - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 11, 2002 at 02:56:01:

While sitting in the Hospital emergency room this evening, waiting for a family member being treated for (fortunately) a minor injury, I noticed a message on a poster on the wall… It read:

“Don’t let what you cannot do, get in the way of what you can do”

Now this is so very simple, of course… But as I sat there, this saying kept ringing in my head, and I began thinking of how appropriate and fitting this little verse is, in many situations that I have witnessed, even some that I may have been involved in.

In fact, it seems to fit a great deal right here, and there have been some recent posts over the past few days that would seem to be on this very thing. Many times, expecially Newbies will get into the habit of attempting to cover every contingency, before moving forward to do a deal… Letting the things that they cannot do, get in the way of things that they could otherwise be doing, and successfully.

So, as we move forward in our daily lives, or attempt to do so on any endeavor, and as you run into an obstacle, ask yourself if you are allowing what you “cannot do”, get in the way of what you “can do”… After all, “Can Do” is what it is really all about.

Just the way that I view things…

JT-IN

Re: Don’t let what you cannot do, get in the way - Posted by don, sdca

Posted by don, sdca on July 11, 2002 at 12:05:01:

JT

Reminds me of a similar saying from the book “Who Moved My Cheese”

==== What would you do if you were NOT afraid? ====

Its simple as well and both really get the mind in tune with whats really going on!

Thanks for the encouragement!

don, sdca

So VERY true! (long) - Posted by Kristy

Posted by Kristy on July 11, 2002 at 12:04:10:

Glad you shared that because it is SO true. We have been investing for about 2 years. All Wholesale/retail. I studied this for 2 years prior, and being a Realtor, I kept thinking about all the negatives, - What if we can’t sell it, What if it needs too much work? What if we have to evict? (we buy foreclosures, usually sight unseen!
Anyway, we finally took the plung and bought our first foreclosure from an investor. Had a hardmoney loan of 12% interest + 3 points to do the loan, with the loan being due in 6 months! We had to wait over 30 days to get the people evicted, they did not want to leave. My investor credited us 1 months interest payment for the delay (not a common practice) When we finally got inside the house it was trashed! We spent over a month rehabbing it. I had run the comps and knew there was money to be made, BUT, we missed a few rehab items that were important to would be buyers. It took us 6 months to sell that darn house and we barely broke even! At this point most people would have given up, (but I am hard headed) We found another investor and bought a house from him, again not seeing the inside and paying 18%. We got the people out in 3 weeks, rehabbed the property- after learning from our mistakes and sold it it 2 weeks for more than our asking price! We now buy a house a month! And are doing good! We do all the rehab ourselves, (we like it and it keeps my husband busy)
So, if we had not jumped in and got started, we would not be where we are today! Buying houses, spending more time with our kids, going to the movies and taking mini vacations once every other month! My husband quit his job of 8 years with the company he was working for and does this full time. I have stopped searching for RE clients and begging for Listings, I list our own houses. It’s been fun and rewarding. We are now playing with the L/O end of investing, so will be asking alot of questions to the special people here in this forum. I can see the potential of money making in the L/o end of the business, but am nervous. Usual questions going thru my head, what if I can’t find a buyer, what if my buyer doesn’t buy and so on, but I have 2 appointments to visit a couple of people and purchasing them on L/O. what is the worst that can happen? they will say NO and I just look for some one who will say YES!
Thanks for sharing your reading, it has made me feel better about getting out of my “comfort zone” and trying something new!!

Excellent post! - Posted by Chris (TX)

Posted by Chris (TX) on July 11, 2002 at 08:48:27:

Thank you for sharing that JT!

Chris