Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by GregNorman

Posted by GregNorman on January 10, 2002 at 10:28:17:

I can’t take the heaters off… that would cost a fortune. There are hot water pipes running to them. They are like baseboard radiators (never seen anything like this). In any case, I’ll let the incoming tenant/buyers know. Hopefully they can find something!

GregNorman

Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by GregNorman

Posted by GregNorman on January 09, 2002 at 06:36:07:

I’ve got a house where a dog had the run of the house. The home has centralized gas heated water baseboard heaters (hope I wrote that right!). The heaters themselves have about 100 small, thin metal “fins”. A dog in the house must have thought they were fire hydrants.

After turning the heaters on for the first time, the smell was pretty bad. We’ve been trying to “burn it off”, but it’s still an issue.

Anyone know how to remove the smell (or at least “hide” it)?

Thanks.

GregNorman

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by Kazuko(CO)

Posted by Kazuko(CO) on January 10, 2002 at 15:55:12:

Yow may try a neutralizer espeically formulated for urine odor, which name is URINE KLEEN. I guess 16 oz. spray bottle is around $10.

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by Mary

Posted by Mary on January 09, 2002 at 20:33:32:

I have used a type of acid before. It is called something like muradic acid (I know that is not the right pronounciation) but a home improvement store should know. I used it on concrete though. But one thing I do know is no matter what you use to clean and deoderize, after that you need to shellac over several times. That is what keeps the odor from coming back. Boy, Im not sure how you will go about using it on baseboard heaters. Thats a toughie.

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by Leon Arnold

Posted by Leon Arnold on January 09, 2002 at 14:05:51:

Try using a UV (ultra violet) lamp. Direct the light on the baseboard radiators only. Protect the walls and floors. We used this method to eliminate odours from freezers which were contaminated from food smells which were caused by decaying foods. Of course wash the radiators first with a good disinfectant soap.
Good luck

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by matt

Posted by matt on January 09, 2002 at 15:06:40:

I know that they sell sprays that are specially formulated to get rid of pet odors. Just make sure that if you use one of these cleaners, that it is not flamable. Call a couple of pet stores and ask them for advice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Matt

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by Leon Arnold

Posted by Leon Arnold on January 10, 2002 at 07:23:11:

Hello Matt: Deodorant sprays only work on some items like, carpets, sofas, beds etc. these items can be washed as well. The odour that Greg is talking about is aparently in some metal baseboard heaters. Greg if these can be removed and placed outdoors in the sunshine that will do the trick but it may not be worth the trouble and try the UV lamp that will cost less than some sprays!! Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Re: Dog Urine on Baseboard Heaters - Posted by matt

Posted by matt on January 10, 2002 at 19:38:46:

I didn’t know that.