Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by Emmett-NC

Posted by Lee on December 10, 1999 at 19:34:29:

Hi JPiper

Mabe I should have explained…

The property I was talking about was an “As Is, Where Is” repop I bought from the VA in 1984 or 1985. It was near a large Air Force Base, in the path of one of the most used runways they had. You wouldn’t believe how much noise and vibration those heavy jets make when they are low and slow. When the gas co. came out to connect service they coudn’t even get the system to hold presure long enough to test it. City code required me to get a licensed plumber to come fix it. The plumber said it was common to have to take apart, redope and reassemble the systems in that area, he said he did it all the time and said nearly all of my connections were leaking.I think I paid him a couple of hundred buks for the job. I was glad to hire out that hot cramped insulation filled attic “job” to someone else.

Carefull with that compressor, our gas company only pumps a few ounces of pressure in their lines, doesn’t take much.

Merry Christmas!

Lee

Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by Emmett-NC

Posted by Emmett-NC on December 09, 1999 at 07:01:38:

When a utility company turns off the power is it common practice for them to take the meter?? I am looking at a potential L/O house, and the meter is missing. The owner did not know about it, and does not know if her realtor had them do it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Emmett-NC

Re: Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 09, 1999 at 07:09:33:

The Realtor didn’t do it. Around here they will remove the meter at times when service as been off for a period of time. No big deal here. If you initiate service they bring it back out. Just call your utility company and ask them…this type of thing could vary by locale.

JPiper

Re: Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on December 09, 1999 at 19:53:46:

I know this is not your situation but…

Beware, if the GAS is turned off for a very long time they may require a presure test. The test itself is no big deal but if a leak is found they may require you to call a plumber to find and fix the leak.

In one of the two times this has happened to me the plumber had to dissassemble and reassemble the entire gas pipe system.

Better to know now for free than to find out the hard way… later.

Merry Christmas

Lee

Re: Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 09, 1999 at 21:37:22:

Huh?

On any property prior to turning the gas on I do a test with an air compressor. No big deal. The gas company doesn’t have to require me to do it. I don’t want the house to blow up.

If there’s a leak we locate the leak with a soapy solution. Assemble and dissassemble the entire gas pipe system? Hopefully you didn’t mean that literally…if you did, you got hooked.

JPiper

Re: Does the utility company take the meter? - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on December 10, 1999 at 19:48:26:

Hi JPiper

Mabe I should have explained…

The property I was talking about was an “As Is, Where Is” repop I bought from the VA in 1984 or 1985. It was near a large Air Force Base, in the path of one of the most used runways they had. You wouldn’t believe how much noise and vibration those heavy jets make when they are low and slow. When the gas co. came out to connect service they coudn’t even get the system to hold presure long enough to test it. City code required me to get a licensed plumber to come fix it. The plumber said it was common to have to take apart, redope and reassemble the systems in that area, he said he did it all the time and said nearly all of my connections were leaking.I think I paid him a couple of hundred buks for the job. I was glad to hire out that hot cramped insulation filled attic “job” to someone else.

Carefull with that compressor, our gas company only pumps a few ounces of pressure in their lines, doesn’t take much.

Merry Christmas!

Lee