Do you allow dogs in your properties? - Posted by Tim (CT)

Posted by Anne-ND on July 05, 2001 at 20:17:19:

Hey Sue!

I got the liability idea from my insurance agent. She also told me about always getting a lien waiver after having any work done.

By ‘dog days’ do you mean it’s not so hot & humid anymore? I remember those huuuumid Pennsylvania summers growing up! We’re having a picture-perfect summer up here in North Dakota this year (excuse me, I mean ‘Dakota’).

Anne

Do you allow dogs in your properties? - Posted by Tim (CT)

Posted by Tim (CT) on July 05, 2001 at 12:09:43:

I apologize if this question is not in the correct forum … but … I just closed in my first 3-family property and two units have dogs. One dog seems quiet and the other barks all of the time. Both units were month to month so there is no lease. I’m in the process of putting one together now. Question: Should I allowed them to stay with no extra rent for the pets or allow them to stay for extra rent $$$ or just tell them either the dog goes or they go. I don’t really want the dogs there but my realtor told me that I’ve pretty much inherited them because I’ve inherited the tenants. What do most landlords do? Do you allow dogs? My thoughts are that you could have the most dosile animal but if provoked by the wrong person in the wrong way, the animal will come after you. I just don’t want to be a part of that. Also, my attorney told me that if the dog bites someone, the owner of the dog will get sued and you might be sued as well. I don’t think the suit against me would hold in court, but why go down that road.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Do you allow dogs in your properties? - Posted by Chuck (AZ)

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on July 05, 2001 at 15:39:14:

Since there is no lease, you can ask them to leave as you don’t want pets on the property.

However, if they’ve been good tentants, it might be smarter to “grandfather” the current pets. You might be able to charge a pet cleaning deposit, and a small additional fee per month for the pet. Then when these folks (eventually) move out, you simply go “no pets”.

yes - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on July 05, 2001 at 12:49:00:

Tim,

We get $25/month/pet on top of rent.
All pets must be neutered.
Tenants must provide name of their veterinarian.
Tenants must show proof of renters’ insurance that carries dog bite liability.
Security deposit is increased $25/pet.

If the tenants are month to month, just give them a month’s notice and get them out. Pet owners that you screen and put in there can be excellent tenants (i.e., very grateful).

Anne

Re: Do you allow dogs in your properties? - Posted by louis

Posted by louis on July 05, 2001 at 12:21:25:

unfortunatley you really can’t tell people with dogs
to leave (it won’t stand up in court as a reason for non renewal) i charge a $250.00 deposit in case the dog does damage to the apt. or lawn

Re: yes - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on July 05, 2001 at 13:55:13:

Hi Anne! Nice ideas, esp. the dog bite liability.

(Swarthmore is finally out of the “dog days” at least for now :slight_smile:

Re: Do you allow dogs in your properties? - Posted by Jay_TN

Posted by Jay_TN on July 05, 2001 at 19:40:30:

>>>>unfortunatley you really can’t tell people with dogs to leave (it won’t stand up in court as a reason for non renewal) i charge a $250.00 deposit in case the dog does damage to the apt. or lawn
>>>>

The lease is up. Since when is discrimination against a dog owner against the law? Also, for my rentals (single family homes), a $250 pet deposit would barely cover the cost of a new door (chewed up by dog). The $250, in my opinion, is a token fee. If a dog wants to do damage, you can be up in the thousands of dollars.

Regards,
jay