Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by Allen

Posted by ski on May 13, 2005 at 20:18:49:

Do it all the time. Do yourself a favor DON’T PAINT unless a rental. Looks tacky. The cost of resurfacing is not too much more tahn preping and painting. New laminate and up-to-date (raised panel doors) will add perceived value to the property. IO use white on white or off white on off white with new hindges and knobs. Looks like a brand new kitchen. Don’t scrimp.

Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by Allen

Posted by Allen on May 12, 2005 at 06:22:45:

I have a question about my first rehab I am looking at. The cabinets are dated but in great shape with new formica. Can I just paint the cabinets white and buy replacement white doors and drawer facings to modernize them? Has anyone done this before?

Allen

Re: Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on May 12, 2005 at 09:39:12:

Paint can be a great thing for Cabinets in the right situation vs replacing them. However, don’t limit yourself to white… I wish I could claim this one, but this house actually was like this when I bought it… Check it out. Sure beats the hell out of White Paint or old wood color.

I don’t know if I would have put in a pink countertop, but it works with what they did quite well… and even though the house is incredibly tiny… Folks loved the kitchen, and it moved quickly.

http://www.ez-own.com/images/OrchardKitchen.jpg

Re: Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on May 12, 2005 at 09:20:56:

We don’t even replace the facings. We just paint them white and install shiney new hinges and knobs. They look new!

I should mention that we do this in lower end properties…be aware of who your audience is.

Re: Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on May 12, 2005 at 07:53:08:

Allen,

I do it for rentals and for properties I am going to sell. You save a fortune and the end result looks great.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

Re: Do I have to replace the cabinets? - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on May 12, 2005 at 06:41:26:

All the time. New faces and new hardware then all new paint will do the trick.

Ken