disruptive neighbor of my tenant - Posted by Rem

Posted by JJ on July 07, 2001 at 04:36:17:

It will probably take a collective neighbor petition effort as worked with The Worm in Orange County CA.

disruptive neighbor of my tenant - Posted by Rem

Posted by Rem on July 06, 2001 at 21:20:28:

We’re having a big problem with a neighbor next to one of our rental houses. They are real “trailer trash” and are driving the whole neighborhood crazy and mainly my tenant.
They have wild parties and make noise usually at night, but sometimes during the day. The police are NO HELP!!! Other neighbors have called them and have gotten nowhere. The house is a rental, also. Anyone got any clever ideas on what we could do, legally, of course??? One the other hand, does anyone have any ideas, period??? This is otherwise a great neighborhood!!!

Re: disruptive neighbor of my tenant - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on July 08, 2001 at 09:19:17:

Here’s a few ideas:

1- I was discussing a similar situation with a RE broker and was told that a ticked off neighbor checked the public records and found the property had a “Non owner occupied” mortgage, and proceeded to notified the bank that the owner DOES NOT live there. The bank called the loan, the the owner subsequently sold the place.

2- In cases where the police and other municipal agencies are no help, the better way is to approach the “city councilman” or “alderman” for the area. I had a situation where a neighbor doing construction on his property had construction debris strewned all over the neighborhood. Calls to the police and sanitation went nowhere.

I made a call to the councilman, and squads of municipal inspectors from building, sanitation, plus agencies I never heard of descended on the site.

It was nice for the councilman’s office to call back a few days later to ask if everything is taken care of.

Frank Chin

Re: disruptive neighbor of my tenant - Posted by Lawrence Tourangeau (Oh)

Posted by Lawrence Tourangeau (Oh) on July 07, 2001 at 24:38:32:

Hello REM,

I don’t know how useful this may be as a suggestion, but if the place is a rental, is it possible for you to find out who the owner is and how to contact him or her.

You don’t want to approach the owner with a ‘What are you going to do about this situation!’ attitude. Instead, tell him or her that you wanted to make them aware of what’s happening with their tenants in this one house. Casually mention that the police have been called many times because of wild parties and you just thought they should be aware of the situation. And in a friendly, helpful manner, mention ‘sorry to bother you with this. I just know that if one of my rental properties had all these wild parties causing WHO KNOWS HOW MUCH DAMAGE to my property, I’d want to know so I could put a stop to it.’ Remind them of the fact that they are the ones whose property is being damaged and they are ultimately going to have one heck of a clean up bill when these tenants leave.

If the owner didn’t know, maybe they’ll do something. If the owner knew but didn’t care, maybe gently reminding them about all the thousands of dollars in damage being caused by these parties might inspire action. If the owner doesn’t know how to handle the situation or really doesn’t care, send them your card, and tell them that you wouldn’t mind discussing and probably solving their problem with them at a future time. This person will probably be very motivated to sell at some point and at least you’ll be one of the first in line.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Lawrence Tourangeau (Ohio)