Developing MHP vs. land/home - Posted by Steve Haycock

Posted by Steve Haycock on May 06, 2005 at 10:29:59:

Yes, Tony, I received your email. This was just a general question to the community as to the pros and cons of an actual park vs. using the land as tracts of land/home deals. I’m leaning toward dw’s on land but don’t know if developing an actual park would be more beneficial. I see the park as more of an administrative headache compared to renting the dirt. Anyone out there that has done one or both of these methods and have comments about which is more beneficial?

Developing MHP vs. land/home - Posted by Steve Haycock

Posted by Steve Haycock on May 05, 2005 at 12:52:44:

I have a large tract of land that is located in a community that has a great demand for affordable housing. Capital is not an issue and there aren’t any old MHP’s for me to buy. My only option is to develop something from the ground up.

I know…I know…new development is not for the faint of heart.

What is the most desirable route to take. MHP or land/home packages? Why one over the other? Pro’s/con’s, etc.

Thx
Steve

Re: Developing MHP vs. land/home - Posted by Chris Reuman (Maine)

Posted by Chris Reuman (Maine) on May 05, 2005 at 21:41:53:

Steve,

Contact Ray Alcorn, he is the true expert.

I think your answer comes from analyzing your market. What does the town need: sfh subdivision, dw subdivision, sw subdivision, mobile home park lots for rent, mobile home park with your own sw rentals, mini storage, multi unit apartments, condos, rv park, etc… What is the need and which will the town allow? Also, what do you want from your investment: appreciation, cashflow, both. What level of management do you want: none, some, delegated.

Best investing, Chris

Re: Developing MHP vs. land/home - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on May 05, 2005 at 16:38:51:

Steve,

Just checking. I had emailed you a response to this question when you privately emailed me. Did you receive my email?

Not that I don’t encourage you to post here as well by any means.

Tony