Deliquent property taxes - Posted by Marcia

Posted by Marcia on December 17, 2003 at 07:26:38:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I did as you suggested and learned that we are a tax lien state. They no longer use tax certificates. I will be doing more homework today. I’m getting a little fearful that there may be a mortgage on this junk house and that is why it sets empty and no one else has invested. Time will tell. Thanks again!

Deliquent property taxes - Posted by Marcia

Posted by Marcia on December 16, 2003 at 10:48:17:

Could someone please give me some direction: I have found a ugly vacant house. I have learned that the property taxes have not been paid since 1998. I called the county to find out how many years taxes can go unpaid until they forclose, they told me two. Well it has been five years for this house. The county told me I would have to wait until June 2004 when their list comes out listing the properties to be sold in July 2004. Obviously, I’d like to intervene before that. My questions are: Is it possible that the county will negotiate a settlement amount if I were to buy the house? Right now it is well over $10,000.00. Secondly, where do I start for a title search, or would the county have already put a lien on the title? I have left messages with the owner, however not recieved any calls back yet. Thanks for taking the time.

Deliquent property taxes - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on December 16, 2003 at 13:02:30:

Marcia:

1. The county will gladly accept your payment of taxes. HOWEVER; it will DO NOTHING except bring the taxes current and remove the property from a delinquent tax list.

2. If you find the current owner and purchase the property then you may approach the county about the taxes. Unless you can come up with some compelling reasons, they probably will not discount them or reduce them but may well work out a payment plan with you. Unless you are the owner of the property the county has no reason to consider a deal for you to pay the taxes.

3. As the other post says and the county advises, do your homework, plan on what you wish to bid, follow the property to the sale and bid for it.

4. Taxes being the senior lien on property they will clean the title of MOST…NOT ALL other liens. So it imperative that you do the homework to find what liens will remain.

5. If it has a mortgage against it most likely the day before the sale the mortgagee will step up and pay the taxes and remove it from the sale. Happens all the time.

6. Tax lien sales can be BRUTAL!. It is not uncommon in certain states to have the property bid up to almost FMV at the sales.

7. Do not know where you are, but; there are tax deed states and tax lien states and almost all have some period of redemption during which the owner can come in and pay the taxes, penalties, etc., and get the property back. Then all you get is the interest and penalties for your investment.

8. Been doing this for some time now and have yet to actually get a good house for just taxes.

Good luck,
Bill H

Re: Deliquent property taxes - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on December 16, 2003 at 11:02:44:

In most counties when the property taxes are delinquent the deficiency is sold to an investor. There may be as many as five delinquent tax certificates on this property and as many tax certificate investors to deal with. You start your title search at the county clerk of courts, the county would not have put a lien on the title the tax certificate investor may have. I would contact the county again to find out what their procedure is for delinquent tax certificates.

Re: Deliquent property taxes - Posted by Marcia

Posted by Marcia on December 17, 2003 at 07:22:49:

Thank you for taking the time. I did call the county back. I found out we are a lien state. I never thought to try and get the house for just the taxes, but I wanted to calculate the expense when putting together this deal. Thanks again.