Delinquent Taxes - Posted by Chris

Posted by dewCO on October 21, 2000 at 19:56:55:

Adverse Possession?? Don’t think you really know what that is. You have to have used the property openly and notoriously for ___ number of years (depending on what your state statute is.

You can always buy from the seller prior to the sale.
Read the How to Articles—Getting on Same Page with seller.

Delinquent Taxes - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on October 21, 2000 at 18:04:46:

There is a vacant house that I was interested in buying and while researching the property I noticed that there is a “pending tax cert. sale”. The guy is about $2,300 behind in taxes. Is there anything that I can do at this point. Could the owner sell it to me even if he wanted to or does this “pending tax sale” put the house out of his control? If he is still able to sell it , how should I approach him? I am a newbie and would appreciate any input.

Re: Delinquent Taxes - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on October 21, 2000 at 19:58:00:

You can always buy up until the sale, from the owner/seller. Read the How to ARticles–Getting on same Page with Seller first.

Re: Delinquent Taxes - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on October 21, 2000 at 19:32:42:

I have a similar question. On the property I have looked at a sheriff’s sale has already been scheduled for the property. Can I still buy without having to go to the auction? Or, can I pay the taxes and take by adverse possesion. I live in Indiana.

Re: Delinquent Taxes - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on October 21, 2000 at 18:16:01:

He can definitely still sell the property. The tax sale certificate is merely a lien on the property that accrues interest until satisfied. If not paid within a certain period of time, the lienholder can foreclose
on the property. The time period varies according to state. Why not go and bid on the lien? It is a long shot but may be the cheapest way of acquiring the property.