Cycles? - Posted by Andy-OH

Posted by Karl (Oh) on June 20, 2001 at 21:49:18:

Andy,

Nothing cyclical about it. I just made a few improvements to my ad, and now I’m getting all the calls!

I had a little bit of a lull in May, back when you were cranking, but right now I’m hammered. No good explanation. Your ad looks good, but try changing some wording, sometimes ads will just go stale.

Karl

Cycles? - Posted by Andy-OH

Posted by Andy-OH on June 20, 2001 at 13:33:51:

Have others noticed any particular seasonal or other cycles which affect this business? After executing about 15 or so deals with an average hold time between purchase and sale of about 10-15 days, and about 20 phone calls on every ad, suddenly, my phone goes dead and I’m holding two homes for about 3 weeks with no bites (not panic time, but I like the former “fast pace”!). Seems a strange lull all of a sudden.

The ad is there and the same as before, my phone messaging service works, I’m in the same parks, but it feels like eveyrone’s too busy playing outside in the summer air to be worried about buying a mobile home… I’ve only been doing deals since late February, so I don’t have a full year under my belt yet…has anyone tracked this business enough to be able to suggest any patterns?

best of luck to all…
Andy

Re: Cycles? - Posted by Andy-OH

Posted by Andy-OH on June 22, 2001 at 11:44:53:

Will do…(spice up the ad). And interestingly enough, since writing this, have had two interested calls…bet it sells by this weekend!

As for the ads: Hey, Lonnie is the master. Although I have admittedly tweaked here and there to experiment, basically what works is two phrases: “OWNER FINANCING” and “NO BANKS”. Adding monthly payments, how long til you own, interest rate, location…doesn’t matter that much. MH description can also be as vague as “2br/2bth, nice park, clean home.”

Another truism that I’ve discovered and I’m sure many others in this business have as well: buyers in this market want something IMMEDIATELY. Generally speaking, they are not long term lookers. I’m amazed at the fact that someone can call me on Monday inquiring about a home, and if I wait to call them til Wednesday, they may have already bought another one or they suddenly discover they’re moving out of town or whatever…MH buyers seem to be “here and now” in every facet of their lives.

Andy

Re: Cycles? - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on June 22, 2001 at 11:36:39:

Hi Andy,

I’ve had a few cycles myself, although I too have found that simply freshening up or changing the ad has helped. Even changing the ad location has been a way to generate interest.

Good luck,

Jacque

Re: Cycles? - Posted by Charlie Roberts

Posted by Charlie Roberts on June 21, 2001 at 11:11:10:

Andy,
I’m just starting out. Bought one home. Haven’t sold it yet. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks. I’'m not worried yet. I am, however, very interested in the ads you are running that got you 15 or so sales since February. Would you mind e-mailing me copies of those ads and telling me what type of publication you’re using (Big city paper, penny saver, small circulation, or whatever, and which ads pulled the most calls). Your help will be greatly appreciated. I’m sure others would like to see them also so maybe you might want to share them by posting them. My area is the west valley of the Phoenix, AZ area. Thanks again.
Charlie