cut AWAY from yourself... - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Mr. H (IN) on October 01, 2007 at 17:40:44:

not your body. That’s the saying we use in the construction field.

cut AWAY from yourself… - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on October 01, 2007 at 17:24:46:

that rule ALWAYS applies…

got my first stitches on Saturday…

let’s just say this, when you feel the razor knife hit your arm, you do think “ah $#$*#U” how much have I just messed up?"

I feel very blessed by God that I missed an artery. it was an 1 inch long vertical cut, knife went in pretty deep.
7 is still one of my favorite numbers, just not my favorite for number of stitches needed lol

I was able to get a towel and pressure on the cut, got the MH locked up, and my purse, and went across the street for help. those folks could tell me where the urgent care place was, but could not drive me because they had been drinking.

second place, the lady was a former nurse, she even had a sterile dressing, and she graciously drove me to the medical center. (see, it pays to be nice, I had helped her repair a floor in her MH about a month ago, and she had been wanting to do a favor back for me… I don’t think medical transport was what she had in mind lol)

I was trimming vinyl flooring at the edge where a register cover had to go. I like the product (armstrong allure planks) but it is a very stiff to cut out, you have to score and bend it to have it go easily. I was trying to shave the edge with the knife with turned out to be not the way to go…knife got stuck for a moment then let loose and bounced into my forearm)

I still like working on the MH, but I will be hiring help as soon as I can move some of the stuff around for someone else to come in and work with me…

so all of this to say, please be mindful of what you are doing every time you are in one of the MHs, whether it is walking on weak floors, or cutting something for a repair, it just is so easy to make a mistake…

Brenda (OH)
(10 more days before I get to take out my stitches… being self insured makes you really aware of the cost of a medical visit…)

Re: cut AWAY from yourself… - Posted by John T (WI)

Posted by John T (WI) on October 01, 2007 at 19:54:22:

You can also try several lighter scoring type cuts, liek you would with drywall before snapping it at the score line.
Its kind of hard NOT to cut towards yourself in one way or another, the way the human body is made. Staying out of the “line of fire” is probably the best bet, but not perfect.

John

Re: cut AWAY from yourself… - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on October 01, 2007 at 18:37:54:

Brenda, remind me next time we get together to tell you the embarrassing way I cut a blood vessel & had to get it stitched. At least it made the doctor laugh.

I do understand about the cost, as I did some price checking on stitches while I waited for Rocket Man to arrive w/transportation. Fortunately, the best price was the closest, 'cause I really started gushing.

Ten days, huh? W/the For Sale sign by up then?

Tye (who doesn’t play well w/pointy scissors)