Customer expectations - Posted by bama

Posted by John, AZ on May 21, 2001 at 23:13:50:

Are you renting? I sell.

I have found that some people don’t fully get the concept that I am selling them a home, not renting it to them. I make this very clear to them when I first do the transaction. I specifically tell them that I will fix nothing, that I am only a mortgage company to them, and that is really what I am. I do make it a positive thing by reminding them that they will someday pay off the loan and be able to sell it, I try to get them excited about the fact that it is “Thier” home.

Hope this helps,

John, AZ

Customer expectations - Posted by bama

Posted by bama on May 21, 2001 at 20:16:35:

Are any of you having problems with customer expectations? What do you say when things go wrong with the home?

Things like leaking toilets, a/c units, leaking roofs, faulty plumbing and such.

If you refuse to fix this stuff the customer gets angry, quits paying and tears up the home. Fix it and they will drive you crazy everytime something tears up and it will cost you BIG money.

I know these homes are old, relatively speaking. But how do you handle customer expectations?

Re: Customer expectations - Posted by Ron_KS

Posted by Ron_KS on May 22, 2001 at 18:05:31:

Hi Bama,

Most of us know exactly what you are speaking of, however, if you let any buyer push you to the point of fixing everything he/she wants, you will be in the poor house before the contract is paid in full.

My contracts, from Lonnie’s book, is simple. It states in large black, bold print, Mobile Home Sold “AS IS”. If the prospective buyer doesn’t accept this agreement, let him/her go because there is always another one looking.

I did exactly what you are talking about with my first purchase. I didn’t follow Lonnie’s teaching to the letter and it cost me in the long run - now, whenever I deal, the buyer knows and must accept the house “AS IS” or we do not deal.

My .02. Good luck,

Ron_KS

Re: Customer expectations - Posted by Roger - TX

Posted by Roger - TX on May 22, 2001 at 17:10:41:

I tell them I am just like the bank, when they buy a truck (they all have trucks in Texas). When the truck breaks down they don’t call the bank they call a mechanic.