Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by Michelle(NEB)

Posted by Michelle(NEB) on July 07, 2001 at 13:55:54:

Ron…We did place a new ad in the paper starting today to run for the next month. We’ll see how effective that is.

Hey, don’t tell me I have too much time on MY hands…you’re the one coming up model boat races and the amazing maze!

However, the haunted house idea does have merit. It could be VERRY scary down there!!

Thanks again!

Michelle

Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by Michelle(NEB)

Posted by Michelle(NEB) on July 06, 2001 at 11:46:17:

I’m needing some “out of the box” thinking here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here’s the challenge:

What could be done to create income from a warehouse basement that is approximately 5,000 square feet? It has access via a freight elevator, but no ramp to allow drive-in access. The ceilings are about 12 foot high, the walls and floor are cement (crumbling in places) there are a few lightbulbs hanging down and a “bathroom” at one end. The space is chopped up by support pillars down the middle about every 15 feet. There is no heat and there are no windows.

It’s a big space and it seems like it could be put to some use that would create income instead of just sitting empty. We don’t have a lot of money to renovate it to another use but would be able invest some funds to make it usable. We have thought of using it for mini-storage by dividing it up; but there are soooo many mini’s here and more being built that we don’t know if this would work. Plus, people would not have access at any time and we think this would be considered a major drawback by most people wanting storage. This is a small (20,000) community, mostly farming and small industry.

So…any ideas you creative thinkers?

Thanks so much!!

Michelle(NEB)

how about - Posted by Todd W(CO)

Posted by Todd W(CO) on July 08, 2001 at 01:01:07:

…a skateboard park, charge five bucks a head to skate all day/night not to mention roller blades, BMX bike rally,… roller rink for roller skates …parking garage…pool hall…night club…
just my thoughts
Todd Williamson(CO)

Re: Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on July 06, 2001 at 21:17:07:

Hello Michelle,
Most if not all government agencys need more storage for all of their paper. If it is temp controlled meaning no moisture, most will be very interested. I would check with the courthouse, law enforcement, hospitals, large clinics. All the government agencys work only 5 days a week and usually not past 5pm. So that you could have it open only during those hours, if you broke up the space and put security doors, etc to protect each of the different enities that you would rent to.
I know the hospital and the courthouse bought a vacant business just for the record space here.
Good luck,
Dee-Texas

Re: Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 06, 2001 at 19:48:21:

Michelle(NEB)-------------

Hey, my dad grew up in Nebraska, I’ve been there several times to visit my relatives.

This is a hard question. The question you have to ask youself is “where is there an unmet need?” Who needs a large space? Who needs a high space? Who needs a space with a big elevator? Who needs a very cheap space?

What else do you have to offer? Well, how about the location? Who near [here] might need some more space, especially storage space?

It might also help if you could talk about what is on the first floor. Could some storage there be moved downstairs? Could you shift upstairs folk to downstairs – at a reduced price – then rent anew the upstairs space (which I assume is nicer)?

How about a shooting gallery? The hunters could practice during the summer before the fall bird season. It would probably be cool down there.

How about altering the exterior at one end to make a ramp down into the basement for a truck or two?

How about advertising on the internet for some fallen dot com company that has too little money to continue in their New York or San Francisco space? Your space has to be cheaper than theirs. Good luck with that one.

Maybe some government agency has to store something over the winter such as lawnmowing tractors owned by the parks department? You probably could not get a government agency to put offices down there, but maybe some storage stuff?

Is there a need for a new community theater? Your space might work for that.

DOn’t dismiss the mini-warehouse space idea out of hand. Do some checking about supply and demand. Try to find out how full are the existing. You may have to spy on them to find this out. You might call them up and say you are from a real estate statistics office in Lincoln or Omeha and you are doing an occupancy study of miniwarehouses in Nebraska.

While there might be enough mini-warehouse space, maybe there is more demand real close to where you are that is not being met.

Mushroom farm? Dark, damp, steady temperature. Sounds like your space?

I’m still thinking you need direct access to the basement. The ramp is getting more and more important as I sit here typing.

If you got the ramp in, you might have a storage space for people to keep their vintage automobiles. Would RVs fit in there? Maybe too low.

Is there a U-haul place nearby that needs more storage space for their trailers?

How about artists studios for depressed artists? They would not need as much light as other artists might.

Could you set it up at halloween as a haunted house and make money that way?

And how about renting it out for a Christmas Mall from about mid Nov to Dec 31? Get some more lights in there. Some decorations. Some heat.

Hm, after Dec 31, turn off the heat. Flood the floor and have an indoor skating rink. Be sure you chased out all the hunters before you do this.

How about storage for machinery that is not used very much. Does the registrar of voters need storage of voting booths?

Well, I’m sure I’ll think of at least one good idea in the next week. I’ll let you hear it when I do.

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

Maybe… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 06, 2001 at 18:05:04:

one of them offsite storage facilities for Documents and such??

Just takin a stab.

David Alexander

Re: Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 07, 2001 at 01:51:34:

I’d say that’s creative…

by the way where bout’s in OK are you Investing… I’m originally from there… being Indian and all.

David Alexander

Re: Creative use CHALLENGE (long) - Posted by Michelle(Neb)

Posted by Michelle(Neb) on July 06, 2001 at 22:23:33:

Ron…Geez! You really went above and beyond on this one. Thanks so much for the time and thought you put into your response to my question. You gave us some great ideas to pursue. We never thought of storing voting machines or seasonal equipment. I got a kick out of the ice-rink idea…that’s something I could personally get into 'cause I love to skate and there’s no rink here. However, hubby says liability would be a problem…party pooper. Let me know if you come up with any other ideas. P.S. You asked about the upstairs: The main floor of the warehouse is used for work space and short-term storage when people are moving and their home isn’t ready yet; or they have to get out of their home before they actually leave town. My husband owns the moving company and the building.
The moving biz has been a bit slow lately so we are trying to make some of our “non-performing assets” perform for us. Thanks again, Ron.

As they say, “you da man!”

Michelle

P.P.S. Where was your dad from?

What a GUY… - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on July 06, 2001 at 22:08:44:

You are Ron Starr. The next problem that I have no solution to, I will be calling you on the telephone, to discuss. You spend a temendous amount of time trying to help this Gal. What can I say!

The world should be filled with ppl like you…

JT - IN

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 07, 2001 at 12:15:35:

David Alexander--------------

In OK, I have one house in Chickashe, Grady county, and one in Lawton, Comanche County. I now have three houses in Oklahoma County, one of which is in Oklahoma City.

Gee, your posts don’t look Indian.

Good Investing*******Ron Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 06, 2001 at 23:00:29:

Michelle (Neb)--------------

My father grew up on a ranch in southern Cherry county. He went to high school in Mullen, Hooker county. If you look for “Starr” on the phone disk or internet phone listings, you’ll see people in that area, including McPherson county. Those are my relatives–aunts, uncles, cousins, cousin’s children, etc.

Good Going on increasing the use of your property. Mushrooms. Hmmm. Like the sound of that one.

How about rehearsal space for the high school cheerleaders and marching band?

Rent it out to local teenages as a movie studio. They supply their own lights, props, equipment etc. “The Nebraska Menace staring Swen Hoagland the Ogalla high school marching band.”

How about a night club? “The Cellar.” Lots of niteclubs in San Francisco and New York" have brick walls. If you are isolated from the residential area, you wouldn’t have many complaints from neighbors about the noise of the bands.

Maybe “garage bands” rehearsal space?

Is there a boomerang enthusiasts club in town? “Practice throwing around the pillars” If not, it’s time for you to start one.

Could you have grasshopper races in the summertime? Is there much demand for a grasshopper training ground?
I sure saw a lot of grasshoppers when I was in Nebraska.

How about becoming a voting place for your precinct? Only occasional use, but, hey a little income is better than none.

Oh, you probably shouldn’t have encouraged me.

Good Investing and Good Movimg****Ron Starr

Re: What a GUY… - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 06, 2001 at 22:44:40:

JT–IN----------

Gee, my face is red from embarassment. If you say too many good things about me, no telling what will happen. My head may get too big to allow me to get through the door.

I see you jumping in a lot with help for people. So you are maybe similar to me. And your help seems accurate and sensible to me.

Well, I hope I didn’t discourage you from occasionally handing me a complement. Just keep it in moderation, please.

Oh by the way, you haven’t complemented me on my good English, good punctuation, and good spelling. Yet.

Good Investing,Good Posting, and Good HelpingRon Starr**

Or maybe… - Posted by Michelle(NEB)

Posted by Michelle(NEB) on July 06, 2001 at 23:19:15:

Or maybe we could start a new reality TV series…“THE BASEMENT”…who will survive…21 people will enter the windowless, dank and crumbling space…only one will emerge triumphant"…hey, anybody from FOX, NBC, CBS, etc., interested? It could be a real ratings boon…and cheap to produce! A few rats, a little rice…hmmmmmmm

But I have noticed them (nt) - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on July 06, 2001 at 22:49:03:

Re: Or maybe… - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 07, 2001 at 12:05:58:

Michelle (neb)------------------

Ok, its your fault that this is happening. Here I go again.

Model train enthusiasts need a space to set up their fancy track systems. Why not in part of your basement.

A restaurant specializing in mushroom dishes, when the mushrooms are grown just down the hall.

In the spring, when the ice-skating rink thaws, you rent out space to the radio-controlled model boat crowd.

The Amazing Maze. Can you find your way out? This would probably be a flash-in-the pan sort of thing, good for a few months, then the market would drop off. But the cost of some bales of hay for the walls would not be too great, especially when you sold them off later to cattle folk. A fall activity, just before the haunted house.

Does the local telephone or electrical utility need an indoor place to store their long poles? Probably needthat ramp and door at the outside to do this.

Maybe you could get an independent TV station to do “the Basement.”

Maybe you guys just need to figure out better advertising for the moving business. You have too much time on your hands when you come up with ideas like “the Basement.”

Good Investing and Good ThinkingRon Starr*