Cracks in exterior paneling and ceiling - Posted by Keith (TX)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on July 06, 2005 at 21:36:10:

Point out these problems to the seller. Instill despair!

I’m not sure if it’s a big deal or not… I know some of the earlier 16 wides were not built well (for example, some had 2x6 instead of 2x8 floor joists) which would cause the walls to “drop” making the floor heave in the center. I had one like this. But the buyer did not notice, so good enough for me.

Look at it as a potential buyer would. If you didn’t notice it at first, odds are a buyer wouldn’t notice it either.

Cracks in exterior paneling and ceiling - Posted by Keith (TX)

Posted by Keith (TX) on July 06, 2005 at 18:02:59:

I looked at a very nice 97 16x80 today. The guy wants too much but I thought about just making an offer that works for me as there is definitely some motivation to sell. The one thing that concerned me was that nearly every super siding panel had a 1/16 to 1/8" crack in between and there were also a couple cracks right through the panels off of window corners. Inside the were a couple of cracks in the ceiling. Is this normal? or a result of setting on the wheels and being only minimally blocked for too long? Thank you guys for helping with your advice.

Re: Cracks in exterior paneling and ceiling - Posted by grandma@svensonhouse.com

Posted by grandma@svensonhouse.com on July 08, 2005 at 20:15:13:

Cracks, wherever they occur, are the result of differential pressure. As long as the cause remains unresolved, they w/continue to worsen, so you need to locate the defect & deduct the cost of any correction(s) from the value. I’d want a professional opinion on this one–

Tye