County Tax Auctions California - Posted by HouseFinder

Posted by Kristine-CA on February 23, 2004 at 13:36:27:

Danielle: we were very happy with our purchases. We were easily able to sell the properties and made good money for the effort.

Which county are you contemplating? Kern? The county records will give you a good picture. Regarding toxic clean-up or any clean-up by the county, I wonder if you couldn’t run the parcel number past the code compliance inspector for that area. You’d have to call around for the right inspector. But they would know of any recent citations or abatements that haven’t yet been levied against the property. Just a thought.

For the most part I wouldn’t worry about that. I’d worry about your intended use for the property. And the title insurance issue (if you are planning to sell right away.)

Sincerely, Kristine

County Tax Auctions California - Posted by HouseFinder

Posted by HouseFinder on February 23, 2004 at 11:19:31:

Hi, I am curious if anyone has bought property during the tax auctions in California. Would be interested in hearing about positive/negative experiences.

Thanks!

Re: County Tax Auctions California - Posted by EZ Money

Posted by EZ Money on February 23, 2004 at 11:37:41:

Here is a good one…Lake Elsinore (Riverside Co) always has some hillside small lots. The city has a weed abatement program that charges the owner $350 (mow) and $350 clerical fee and puts on tax bill. Although the county says they are lien free, the city tries to charge you after you own the property. One owner was hit for thousands of $$$ before he could build or resell.

Re: County Tax Auctions California - Posted by HoouseFinder

Posted by HoouseFinder on February 23, 2004 at 11:45:50:

Thanks for the info! My take is that some counties seem more honest than others about disclosures than others - although I do my own research at county records. Anyone out there who has bought in Northern California?

Thanks!

Re: County Tax Auctions California - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on February 23, 2004 at 12:39:16:

I’ve bought three properties at tax sale in CA. I have not found that the special assessments have anything to do with disclosures. It is disclosed to you at the time of sale (at all CA county sales) that you buy at your own risk and that some special assessments that are not part of the tax bill are not wiped out at tax sale. Same with IRS liens. Most special assessments for clean-up and abatement make it on to the tax bill within a year via a county lien. But you definitely buy at your own risk and it’s always possible that you just bought after a huge toxic waste clean-up that is not recorded anywhere. :slight_smile: Kristine

Re: County Tax Auctions California - Posted by Danielle

Posted by Danielle on February 23, 2004 at 12:44:54:

Hi Kristine,

Were you happy with what you purchased? Did you buy land or actual Properties? Any tips on finding out about the Toxic Waste? We have driven by the properties we are interested in as some are not exactly as pictured or are not pictued at all…and it also gives us a feel for the neighborhood to actually go there. Any place else we should search for information on the property besides county records? Thanks for the info!

Danielle