Cost of a tear down? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by BillW on July 15, 2001 at 21:27:24:

Carey,
Costs vary quite a bit depending on the area. Also a factor is the cost where the debris is finally dumped.
Look around and try to find someone or someplace looking for fill. If they will accept your debris, you might save a little. (Probably they won’t accept it. ) You might also have to contend with the asbestos issue. Most of the old buildings had it, and plenty of it. The old plaster walls were full of it, as well as floor tiles, siding, heat lines, etc. It was in over 200 different products, as I recall, and the thinking at the time was “if some’s good, more’s better.” It might be to your advantage to only accept the property after the lot is cleared and tested for contamination.If you have to take the project as-is, be sure to allow plenty for demolition, cleanup and especially testing. On the other side of the equation, depending on what type of bricks you’re dealing with, they might have some small value. Used bricks are not cheap to buy and some special types command high prices for fancy remodels. As to demolition costs, try some wrecking companies, but I don’t think you’ll see prices less than $3.00-$5.00 per square foot. Also, you’ll need permits, etc.
Good luck.
BillW.

Cost of a tear down? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on July 15, 2001 at 21:11:37:

Hello all…

Does anyone know how much it would cost to tear down a home?

Rough estimates for now will do…I’ve been waiting weeks to get a “real” estimate from demolition guys.

It’s about 70+ yrs. old, 3 stories high, and is brick.

Thanks,

CAREY

Below 10k (nt) - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on July 17, 2001 at 17:41:06:

nt

We got a bid for $120,000… - Posted by David

Posted by David on July 16, 2001 at 07:40:22:

to tear down a large 3 story house, we didn’t take it.
Permits and hazardous substances ran up the price. Dumping is alos not cheap and done by weight so brick houses cost more to dump.

On one project we separated the demo materials. A farmer took all the horse hair plaster for free to add to his fields, but separating is labor intensive.

On a property we bought the seller paid $17,000 to demo a 3 story town house, but some of that cost was for finishing the wall remaining of the stillstanding attached house. But I thought $17,000 was way high.

This year we got bids to demo a small ranch house of $4,500 to $8,000. The low bid was very reasonable by a demo company that had the heavy equipment and insurance coverages.

Re: Cost of a tear down? Maybe too simplistic!! - Posted by Michel

Posted by Michel on July 16, 2001 at 06:08:31:

Was faced with the same problem. Ran an ad in the cheap newspapers: " Free lumber and building materials to anyone! Call xxx-yyyy. It will help reduce the costs of leveling the house after “the vultures” are gone and left very little to salvage.

Re: Cost of a tear down? - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on July 15, 2001 at 22:21:25:

Average house . . . $20k if I’m the buyer . . . about a quarter of that if I’m the seller.

But seriously, actual dollars . . . 7k to 9k, but will of course vary considerably depending on circumstances (brick, asbestos, etc.)

Earlier this year my secretary called around to get bids on having the floors leveled on a rehab property we had in the pipeline. I figured a little jacking and shimming would do it, but the bids came in at $10k. She’s called the house leveling people, not the floor leveling people and they were all bidding it as a tear down.

1st rule of rehabbing . . . never confuse “leveling floors” with “leveling houses.”

Joe