Consider using this digital photo site... - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 04, 2001 at 06:35:45:

Can you tell I’m having fun with this? (smile)

HR

Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 03, 2001 at 23:02:14:

Hey folks,

While messing around with my hotmail account, I suddenly found myself at some new Microsoft site that promotes digital photo albums. Man was this easy! I threw one rehab we are currently working on up there to see how easy/long/frustrating this would be. It was easy, fast, and very appealing. I heartily recommend it. I, for one, would like to see real pics of these deals we hear described. I think it would help get a better appreciation of the deal.

In this particular case, it also shows how nice a $10,000 house can be! (Drool with envy all you Californians! lol).

Perhaps others have other sites they fancy. That’s cool. Let’s start a movement for folks to throw their pics up on a digital site, whatever one it may be.

HR

Here’s my digital webpage, HR’s Property Pics:

http://communities.msn.com/HRsPropertyPics&naventryid=100

PS. If you don’t have a digital camera yet, come on! What are you waiting for? It’s the 21st century already! (smile) I use a HP315 I bought for $300 at Office Max and it takes GREAT photo quality pictures, especially when run on high quality paper. These photos on the site weren’t even on the best quality photo setting possible. I can’t imagine looking at dozens of houses a week without my digital camera. I also can’t imagine forking out $13/roll to get them developed.

Let the shopping begin… - Posted by Glenn Crocker AL

Posted by Glenn Crocker AL on May 05, 2001 at 11:01:09:

A couple of sites for shopping for digital cameras…
http://www.zdnet.com/special/filters/sc/camera/

http://www.pricewatch.com/ look under electronics/digital camera

http://www.dpreview.com/ This was JoeKaisers info…Thanks JOE!
Check out the new IBM microdrive, (on the home page) for those that need extra storage on cameras you already have that use the compact flash cards. Also works with laptops/PCMCIA cards

http://photo.askey.net/news/0009/00091201sonydscp1.asp

http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-1629008.html?tag=dir

If anyone has some sites better please post!

Thanks,

Glenn

HP 315 Digital Camera - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on May 04, 2001 at 09:41:08:

Hal,

I think the quality of your photos is very good.

You recommended that camera several weeks ago and the only thing I didn’t like about it was that it takes regular batteries. As you probably know, digital cameras are notorious for eating batteries. What’s been your experience?

I don’t think $300 is bad at all. Another thing I like about that one is you can buy an add-on wide angle lens for about $70. It think I (we?) need one for getting a good view of our smaller homes, especially the kitchen and bath.

I just read that there’s a new generation of digital cameras coming out this summer. I need to investigate this a bit. I’d like to put the expense in this fiscal year, which ends 6/30, but I don’t want to wish I’d waited a month or three.

I’m also making plans to set up a business website using Microsoft Front Page. I also learned that MS Front Page is releasing a new version on 5/31, so I’m holding off until then.

I enjoyed your photos.

Thx.

Ron Guy

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by Joe(NY)

Posted by Joe(NY) on May 04, 2001 at 09:24:23:

HR,

Very nice property for 10k! You might also want to look at www.webshots.com which is another photo sharing community. Your daughter is beautiful, god bless her.

As a newbie, it is very encouraging to see that the information being disseminated on this site is being used by real people to make real deals. I’m still trying to locate my first deal.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Joe.

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by Monique

Posted by Monique on May 04, 2001 at 07:50:29:

Neat! $10K and $400/mo cash flow? Pretty amazing.

An added benefit of your post is that we all get to see a picture of you (and your cute daughter, of course). It’s a helpful reminder of what you look like (though I did remember) since all of us met so many people at the Convention.

Great deal!
Monique

Hal, you’re right, it is the… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on May 04, 2001 at 07:29:34:

21st century, so when will HR’s Nawlins Rehab site be up and running? It’s just as easy to throw the pics on your own site as it is someone elses. As you know, we like seeing all those 4 digit properties, LOL!

So, is the 2nd fireplace in the master now? Take care.

What a pretty Kid! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on May 04, 2001 at 07:20:17:

And the house ain’t bad either!

Aren’t we lucky to live in this age?

I love that!

I’m in. I’m replacing my old digital today. I think I wore the old one out!

Thanks for sharing Hal! That kid is too cute!

Hope you’re doing great, as I’m sure you are.
Take care!

Steph in Tex

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on May 04, 2001 at 06:07:49:

Hey HR, don’t tease me, where are the rest of the pictures!? That is a good looking 10k house. I am working on one now. Mine didn’t start out looking as good here in Ohio. Thanks for the info. DanT

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by jd_tx

Posted by jd_tx on May 03, 2001 at 23:24:08:

Hey HR, neat idea! Pics are really good. Is this project completed?

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 03, 2001 at 23:23:40:

Hi Hal:

Pictures looked great. Good idea. Guess I’m really going to have to buy that camera now instead of just talking about it.

JPiper

Seems to be working… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 03, 2001 at 23:08:51:

The link goes direct to the digital home page; at least it did in my case. If anyone has any problems with this, let me know. (Not that I can do anything about it, mind you. I just would like to know if folks can reach this as easily as Microsoft would have me believe).

Cheers,

HR

Re: Let the shopping begin… - Posted by Mike Schmidt (IL)

Posted by Mike Schmidt (IL) on May 05, 2001 at 17:14:49:

Not a link, but some info on the Sony DSC-F505V. We have several cameras in my office that range from a few hundred dollars to over $5000. I tried them all against this Sony, which I bought online for $600 in a Going Out Of Business sale, they might have dropped some in price, havent checked in a while. But for the money none of the others I looked at came close. I spent 3 months checking out many digital cameras before I purchased.

The Sony uses a memorey stick to store images on and is rechargable. I charged the camera before vacation and took 65 shots, never had to recharge it. The 65 shots only filled the memorey stick about 3/4 full in 800X600 mode. If you shoot in high res. you will get about 10 shots per 8 meg memorey stick.

It also has one of the highest quality lens available on the market for any camera. I own a few highend 35 MM cameras that use this same Carl Zeiss lens, they are fantastic quality. The camera will shoot up to 2240X1680 res at 3.3 mega pixles, 10X zoom AND macro with a built in spot meter. Very high end features for a not to bad price really.

Here is a link with 2 shots if you want to see what the images it takes look like, also a link to read more about it.

http://64.14.40.97/explore_products/productinfo.jsp

Here are some sample shots I took, warning, to show the quality of the camera I did not optimize the images, so it might take a few extra seconds to open.

http://wedealhomes.netfirms.com/html/images.html

Batteries and Lenses… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 04, 2001 at 17:11:48:

Ron,

The battery issue is worse than I ever expected. This thing eats 4 batteries, it seems, every 20-25 pictures or so. I recently bought some rechargeables, assuming they would work. If not, I’m gonna buy a lot of stock in Duracell, just from my usage. This is such a huge deal, I would choose a camera based on the rechargeability issue alone, all other things being equal.

As far as the lens goes, I agree: it’s a must. I have’nt gotten it yet, but the photos just don’t capture enough, especially with small subjects like baths, small rooms, alleyways, etc.

Overall, though, I’m extremely pleased with the HP product: durable, very easy to use, intuitive, and takes great quality photos, especially at the top quality setting.

Good luck,

HR

Re: HP 315 Digital Camera - Posted by Dmitry_PA

Posted by Dmitry_PA on May 04, 2001 at 12:35:14:

Speaking of digital cameras, I remember awhile back Joe Kaiser recommended a camera that also allows one to record voice. I thought back then, that that was a great idea. You take a picture and record your comments about the property, its address, or whatever, so that you remember exactly what your thought were at the moment.
As far as FrontPage goes, you have to be cautious about your host supporting sites created with FrontPage - some hosts do not support FrontPage extensions. Make sure you find out about it before you sign up with any host. I am using Macromedia Dreamweaver, and I am very happy with it. It took me about 30 minutes to put together a temporary home page for my future site (I already had all the pictures created, so all I had to do was lay out the site and add some text, which I also had saved in a file). It was easy. Now I am working on a full-blown web site with multiple pages, cool buttons, menus, etc. Check it out if you are interested - winwinoffer.com.

Dmitry_PA

I agree! - Posted by Duane

Posted by Duane on May 04, 2001 at 10:52:52:

I think it is very helpful for newbies to see these properties and understand what everyone is talking about. Especially since everyone is in different areas. It helps to compare the homes, prices, conditions, etc.

Wouldn’t it be nice if some of the guru investors that post here, had links from this site to a similar page? Talk about motivation! I’d probably be saying, “Hey, if that guy bought that ugly house, why did I pass on a similar one the other day?!”

You know what this means, Tim… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 04, 2001 at 07:50:35:

You’ve just obligated yourself to helping me set up my own site. (smile). I tried to call you at home just a few days ago, but the phone rang endlessly. Maybe I have a bad number. Please email me so I can get you some goodies.

Also, maybe I’m being overly techno-ignorant, but I suspect setting up my own site must be more complicated than this. I’m not saying it’s overly complicated, just more complicated than this. This was pathetically easy to set up. The whole site is already set up and ready.

If there are better sites, I’m all ears.

Finally, I do think there is a place for different sites for different purposes. I woulden’t set up my professional “I buy houses, etc” sites there. It’s real easy for this purpose, though.

Hope Kelly and the kids are well,

HR

Re: Consider using this digital photo site… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 04, 2001 at 06:14:36:

Dan,

This was SO EASY to do, I think I’m going to throw a bunch of other rehabs up over the weekend. It only takes about 1 minute, too, for the pictures to load up to the site with my 56k modem. I’m real pleased, and apparently folks can get easy access to them.

My only minor criticism is the “message board” section was unable to take messages last nite, when I created it, dueo to the server being busy. Hopefully, that’s not a regular problem. Even if it is, the free message board is a minor feature anyway.

By the way, I forgot to mention one, important point: this is all FREE!

HR

Wait till they see… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on May 03, 2001 at 23:28:26:

Yea,

Wait till they see what a $5000 house looks like, Jim. LOL.

I’m actually curious to see your before and after rehab pictures. I was thinking of those costs you got on that last rehab today as I bantered with my contractor on some additions on the South Roman rehab. I thought, You know, I really can get that cheaper…

Anyway, glad this is working. I think it will be a great addition to this site.

HR

Re: HP 315 Digital Camera - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on May 06, 2001 at 13:33:33:

Dimitry,

Thanks for the info.

The camera that Joe K recommended has more features than I want. I don’t want audio and video. I’d prefer compact and simple.

As for MS Front Page, I know virtually nothing about web design software. I’m planning to go with this one because it seems to be the industry standard, yet something a non-technical person can handle. I was aware of the website compatibility issue and found one for about $10.00 per month that seems fast, flexible, etc.

Finally, I did look at your website and it seems like a good start. I especially liked your logo. Nice job.

Ron Guy