complicated short sale - Posted by lukeNC

Posted by Jay W on October 04, 2005 at 14:36:22:

PJ

While you may feel clever with your posts, they are not helpful. Please stop posting information when you clearly do not understand what you are talking about.

The lease agreement may have been created and signed by the original owner(s), but it grants specific use rights to the tenants that are not voided due to a transfer in ownership. By taking ownership, Lunk-NC will have to honor the agreement. In order to sell the house as vacant or to rent to other tenants, it would require a notice to vacate from a local judge or magistrate (depending on who has authority in that jurisdiction), or the tenants would need to leave voluntarily. Given the existing lease agreement and the tenants stated position, neither outcome is likely.

In any case, the contract remains valid through the transfer of ownership. Not only are your posts wrong, they demonstrate a very unethical and juvenile attitude towards R.E. investing and other people on these boards.

complicated short sale - Posted by lukeNC

Posted by lukeNC on October 03, 2005 at 10:57:14:

I have a deal where the house is worth $213k, I got the only underlyng lender to accept $152.5k as payoff in full.

The house is owned by an out of state owner, who was renting the home. The tenant wants to buy the home but has just filed bankruptcy., chapter 7. They probably wont be able to buy for years.

This was by far the easiest short sale i’ve ever done. There was no BPO, and they accepted my first offer of $152.5k.

Here’s the complicated part.

The tenant has an option to purchase at $188k, which expires next september. The seller conveniently forgot to mention this to me.

I’ve got a buyer to purchase at $175k, but they want the tenant outta there. To leave, the tenant is demanding $8k, and nothing less. Seller wants nothing.

Plus, this is a short sale, so I cannot get the regular retail buyers unfortunately. Lender wont allow seller to profit.

What do you guys suggest?

Re: complicated short sale - Posted by Ned Carey

Posted by Ned Carey on October 05, 2005 at 01:10:51:

Boy I love complicated stuff. Let me add another complication. Contrary to what PJ says, if the tenant has an option, then even if you buy and go to settlement, the tenant may come back cause title nightmares. I wouldn’t want to take that risk.

Title insurance won’t help. If it is recorded you will not get insurance or at least there will be an exception for the option. If it is not recorded, well title insurance only covers stuff recorded in the public records.

But here is the other complication I was speaking of; Since you know of the option, if you proceed you are commiting a tort. It is called interference with a contract. The tenant can sue you for interfering with his contract with the owner.

I suggest you talk to a lawyer. Newsgroups are not the best place to get legal advise.

Ned Carey

I agree with ken in sc… Who is Lender? - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on October 05, 2005 at 24:04:16:

Luke:

I can;t imagine that no one wants to know who the lender is… Sounds like a good deal on your part, and maybe a sign that the lender may have some issues, if they are willing to waive the white flag so easily…

Info like this comes in handy once in a while, so who is the Lender…? Is it comm’l or residential sfh use property…? Interesting, and nice deal…

JT-IN

Re: complicated short sale - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on October 04, 2005 at 07:08:33:

First and foremost, get your hands on the option paperwork and read it. It will tell you a lot. Is the option recorded? If it is, you will have a hard time closing the short sale without paying the 8K to the option tenant. As was said before, the option may be nullified by now due to the BK or a missed payment.

I would probably buy this deal, not assign it. Then, it is likely that sometime in the near future the tenant will miss a payment or something to nullify their option. If not, you can just collect rent until the tenant either exercises the option (stanger things have happened given todays lending practices) or the option expires. Or they may not pay rent and then you evict. It seems to me that you need to actually buy this property and then wait until you can legally sell it. It is a good deal, so find the financing and wait it out.

Ken

Are you really responsible? - Posted by PJ

Posted by PJ on October 03, 2005 at 18:11:57:

The lease/option contract was between the tenant and the PREVIOUS Owner of the house.

If you purchase this house, you are now the new Owner.

Now, you can do whatever you want with the house (including evicting tenants and selling the house)

You have no liability to follow through with any of the tenants demands of the L/O agreement done with a PREVIOUS owner.

The only thing the tenant can do is sue the previous owner.

Good Luck…

Re: complicated - Posted by Nike

Posted by Nike on October 03, 2005 at 13:19:11:

Is the tenant paying rent? Have you read the option agreement? Failure to pay and filing bk. my render the option contract voidable. Did the tenant/debtor list the option in the bk? He should have—bk. courts view option contracts as executory contracts–the Trustee can set aside executory contracts- or he could auction the option but that’s unlikely here as the numbers are likely too small. If you point these things out to the tenant (perhaps from your attorney to his bk. attorney) you may be able to get a good deal. The problem is the tenant/debtor will have to turn the money over to the bk. court.

Re: complicated short sale - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on October 03, 2005 at 12:30:38:

If the tenant buyer has a valid lease option till september and now pays you the rent on time, then there is nothing you can do about paying the 8K. Read the lease contract with the tenant, you might find something that is not right in it. In the first place you should have read the lease agreement before you bought it.

Good luck!

ort sale - Posted by Nike

Posted by Nike on October 05, 2005 at 06:01:52:

C’mon—a tort? You’re right newsgroups are not good places to get legal advice. The seller has marketable title- he can sell to a third-party buyer and the buyer takes subject to the lease option. No tortious conduct involved. As I said below we don’t know the status of the option–filing bk. and failure to make timely rent payments may be a breach of the option agreement. Assuming the numbers are as Luke suggests then this is good deal.

Re: Are you really responsible? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on October 04, 2005 at 10:55:36:

PJ: a lease and an option , (whether separate or together) can not be
ignored. Even if the docs are not recorded, the tenant could tie up
the property and muck up the title by going to court.

I don’t know where you get the idea that the only thing that the tenant
can do is sue. Do you have any experience with leases or options at
all? You can’t just kick out a tenant with a lease. Or can’t just ignore
an option agreement–unless you don’t mind a little title flaw.

Kristine

Re: Are you really responsible? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on October 04, 2005 at 08:01:23:

PJ,

Doesn’t this depend if the lease/option is one agreement or two separate agreements?

Unless the house goes to foreclosure, the lease should run with ownership. IMO, he has to honor it.

–Natalie

Re: Are you really responsible? - Posted by Newbie

Posted by Newbie on October 03, 2005 at 22:51:34:

I’m just a newbie but it sounds like the owner illegally sold you the property if someone else has the option to purchase already.

Re: complicated - Posted by LukeNC

Posted by LukeNC on October 03, 2005 at 15:14:34:

If I pay that $8k, she’ll have to report that to the bk court, you are right about that.

I can definitely use that for leverage here…

How would you sell this to a retail buyer?
maybe assign it for $2k upfront, get the rest later?

The HUD cant show a profit going to the seller on this short sale deal.

Re: ort sale - Posted by Ned Carey

Posted by Ned Carey on October 05, 2005 at 08:51:36:

>The seller has marketable title- he can sell to a third-party buyer and the buyer takes subject to the lease option.

Excellent point, the property could be taken “subject to” the option, I hadn’t considered that. Normaly that would be a risk I wouldn’t take. However based on the description of the tenant that may be a very modest risk. And the tenants option price may guarantee a profit!

However we don’t know what’s in the lease option contracts. Is there something in there preventing a purchase subject to the option? Not likely but possible. If so we are back to the tort.

I point out the tort possiblity because there are people in competitive markets like mine that are trying to steal deals that are under contract. Some people may not be away this is a tort and subject to legal action.

Ned Carey

funny cow pictures - Posted by funny cow pictures

Posted by funny cow pictures on January 11, 2006 at 04:53:15:

leroi tractair for sale music lyrics feel good inc paul revers ride school uniforms article rasaul al lah regional aircraft brokers heat intolerance and polio limosine in washington funky barstools kitsap doctor referral hp 2610 photosmart power supply tpbonline hedwig reicher trivalent chrome detector pros of immunization facts about number 20 roxy luggage products corbin fisher photos houston mediator public law medical simulation labs signs of mrsa infection manufactured homes in simi valley free tickled video clips 100 free housewives pictures poems for funeral friend covington va motels fat girl and feeders intelligence enhancer ballerina photos john hedar napoleon dynamite recipes for food garnishes having forms emailed to you bigfoot in oklahoma dj baby u electric scooters edmonton congenital ball and socket ankle powermate vantage 7000 connecticut birth injury lawyer jennifer alba printing central oregon 8th tennessee mounted infantry adult one piece pajamas handsome greek men photos 35mm negative scanners electrolysis and long island dodge rampage for sale ak 47 parts kits i miss you quotes farm animal birthday plates bates desert women planet mars august 2005 cornfield pictures jeep wagoneer leaks transmission fluid mating of dogs flashing led dog harness hotmail reverse email search financial advisors lower mainland krystal bedard free writers shareware college bordem pirelli mt 18 cheap nox cg3 motorola razor skins letters of apology sorry bar drink recipes 19th century ball dresses solar powered rock address marker toilet rough in ninjapants zero turn radius mower comparison hubbard bay head new jersey sc oceanfront condo baccarat play game com great sunday best muffin kindergarten activity tables petition daylight savings time dipset wallpapers national panasonic resturant equipment protein synthesis diagram tournament sigs anonymous email service fandango people pictures spanish crossword puzzles single21 shufflemaster ford model t replicas free email tarot readings gifts for carpenter ky6 2sf washington virtual office solutions free customer service training course alanna ubach pics how to calculate pipeline pressures home residential steel everest 364q keystone 5th wheel turkey soup excel password recovery freeware news of amsterdam georges brassens records albany cosmetic surgery rooster tail lures

You dont get it… - Posted by PJ

Posted by PJ on October 04, 2005 at 12:54:59:

Kristine, I don’t think you understand the situation at hand. Read the original post more closely.

The PREVIOUS Owner has a lease with the tenants.

The PREVIOUS Owner is in foreclosure and hence LUKE-NC here is working a short sale.

AFTER LUKE-NC closes on the house, there is nothing the tenant can do except sue the PREVIOUS owner for non-performance.

BEFORE LUKE-NC closes on the house, the tenant can put a lien on property, which I believe is what your point is.

However, tenant probably doesn’t know Owner is in foreclosure and probably doesn’t
know how to do a short sale either.

The tenant cannot sue or put a lein on a house AFTER its been sold to our guy.
(well, technically they can…anyone can put a lein at anytime, but it would be invalid)

If our LUKE-NC has not bought the house yet… and the tenant knows the owner is in foreclosure, the tenant obviously has the first right to buy that house & can file a lien or stop
the sale, which I believe is your point.

However, once our guy buys that house… aint much the tenant can do… besides sue the previous owner.

Make sense?

What?? - Posted by PJ

Posted by PJ on October 04, 2005 at 09:15:00:

Almost forgot…

How does a lease/option agreement or any real estate agreement “run with ownership” ??

Lets go back to the basics of real estate contracts and we’ll find that a contract is between 2 parties and only 2 parties.

The house is never “tied” into any contract.

Re: Are you really responsible? - Posted by PJ

Posted by PJ on October 04, 2005 at 09:09:39:

Natalie,

Makes no difference if its two agreements or one.

The agreement is NOT with Lunk-NC, it is with the previous Owner.

The tenant can only sue the previous owner for specific non-performance of their agreement - whatever their agreement maybe.

Re: Are you really responsible? - Posted by newbie

Posted by newbie on October 03, 2005 at 22:56:04:

Like I said I’m just a newbie I should have read all the other intelligent answers before ignorantly expressing my “opinion”.

paul walls grill - Posted by paul walls grill

Posted by paul walls grill on February 06, 2006 at 14:09:35:

grill by nelly nelly- grills mouth grill grill lyrics grills for your mouth char broil grills grill covers indoor grill tec infrared grills paul wall grill billet grill nelly grill my grill portable grill heavy duty grills macroni grill george foreman grill let me see your grill camp grill high quality grills members mark grills moe’s southwest grill sunset grill hyde park bar and grill q grill coleman gas grill grill parts natural gas grills grill guard brio tuscan grill moe’s southwest grill auto grills q grill weber grills bone fish grill george forman grill george forman g5 grill damon’s grill macaroni grill recipes platinum grills