Columbus OH Eviction - Posted by DW

Posted by Talia on September 22, 2004 at 13:47:06:

I don’t know the laws in your state. I suggest you consult with an attorney. If the laws are as strict as they are where I live (NY), then you don’t want to do this without legal advice.

In NY, if you skip (even by mistake), even one part of the eviction process, you could end up screwing yourself and bolstering the tenant’s position.

Consult an attorney who knows about these matters!

Columbus OH Eviction - Posted by DW

Posted by DW on September 22, 2004 at 06:42:50:

I have owned my first rental property for 6 months now and unfortuneately I’m going to have to evict a tenant I just signed in July (Bad choice on my part). My question is how do I start the eviction process? I’ve already served a 3-day notice that expires 9/23 at noon. There is very little information I can find on the interenet about the process. Any help would be appreciated.

File with court… - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on September 22, 2004 at 17:41:11:

The next step is to file a complaint in court. Just go to the local court for your area (Municipal Court?) and they will tell you exactly what to do and give you the paperwork to fill out. You will need to find the proper court. Look in the phone book and call the court house. Someone will be able to tell you where to go for an eviction case. You can do it all yourself.

But make sure the notice you served was proper. If it was not, then your case may be dismissed and you will have to start all over again. Take the notice with you to the court office and see if someone there can tell you if it is okay. This is probably the trickiest part of the whole process. There are specific rules about how the notice must be served.

Also, can you prove the notice was served? I always try to have a third party serve my notices. That way, I can prove it was served. What if the tenant says he never received the notice? If it is just your word against his, the case may be dismissed.