City Rental Registration - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on June 16, 1999 at 21:45:32:

Suburb of Dallas Tx

City Rental Registration - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on June 16, 1999 at 21:30:56:

I have just been notified that the city that I live in has passed a new ordinance.This ordinance says that if you own a property that is a single family dwelling and you rent this dewelling that you are to register it with them or face a fine of $255 to $2000 for noncompliance.Also the tennant has to register with drivers license,phone number and how many people will be living in the house.There also has to be a self inspection with a $12 fee to each new tennant.
Is this new or has any other cities experienced this?

Re: City Rental Registration - Posted by Michelle D (MS)

Posted by Michelle D (MS) on June 16, 1999 at 23:12:55:

Yes, TC, we have a similiar ordinance here in Madison, MS, a suburb of Jackson. We have to have the property inspected with the city-approved inspector (who I’ve recently made friends with – he even told me he’d look for properties for me!) I don’t look at it as a bad thing, even though it costs me a couple hundred deductible bucks a shot. Our town also doesn’t allow apts., duplexes, and other multi-units. They just want to make sure tenants don’t trash places and hurt property values. That’s good for me too. I think you’ll see these sorts of ordinances more and more in suburbs. The result here? Relatively high property prices, and even higher rent prices. And I’m finding out no matter where there’s motivated sellers if you look hard enough.
Michelle D.

Re: City Rental Registration - Posted by Tim (SNJ)

Posted by Tim (SNJ) on June 16, 1999 at 22:19:59:

Kalamazoo MI had something like this 20 plus years ago. Paulsboro NJ past this 2 years ago.

What City, State? - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on June 16, 1999 at 21:41:16:

This sounds like a very investor unfreindly action to me.What city state?
Pat