CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by jeff

Posted by Rich-CA on February 11, 2008 at 13:16:08:

With paneling, it may be less expensive to replace it with drywall. Drywall is certainly easier to paint. One other thing I forgot to note: do the walls have electrical in them and if so, is the electrical work permitted. Some areas have inspectors that ill require you rip out all the un permitted work.

CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on February 11, 2008 at 05:42:38:

I’m trying to get my house to sell in a TERRIBLE RE MARKET.

I have a basement semi finished dark paneling covering the walls and old stained commercial tile on the floor.

Can I just lay down some of the cheap FRIZE carpet from home deopt for less than a dollar a sq ft. ? 600sq ft.

Do I need something underneath ?

I want to paint the paneling and carpet the flor which will give a finished feel for CHEAP.

I think this will increase sq footage and be a huge selling point.

Any thoughts ? Thanks

Re: CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by matx

Posted by matx on February 15, 2008 at 20:42:50:

You can probably install vinyl planks on the tile. They look just like hardwood floor and are water resistant unlike laminate. We’ve started installing them in our rentals in place of carpet. (Everyone thinks it’s hardwood).

We had our carpet company install them with adhesive, but the kind you can get from HD is free floating. You can install them yourselves.

Re: CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on February 13, 2008 at 13:48:19:

Use Kilz on your paneling, then a semi-gloss (washable & reflects more light) paint that is not stark white. I like a very pale yellow w/white trim. If going white, look @ a color card of whites (white can be many different shades) & choose a peachy tone. Do not use Navajo white, which looks dirty.

Make sure, before you paint, that your paneling is properly finished. Add or repair molding & baseboards. High baseboards have an expensive look. Change out the outlets & switchplates.

Cheap carpet w/no padding looks like cheap carpet w/no padding. Why pay for something to make your house look worse? Laminate, as you’ve been advised, is super cheap now (88¢ at Lowe’s), & yes, you do want the underlayment, or else it could squeak. I’m partial to the cherry because it has a warm look that isn’t as yellow as some of the oak.

You’re wanting to make the most of this room, so do it right & make it a real asset. Don’t forget to stage the room so that buyers can visualize themselves there. If you can find one now, I’d install an electric fireplace. All you have to do is flip the switch & folks w/want it. I install them in all my units.

Tye

Re: CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on February 11, 2008 at 10:13:34:

I agree with Rich-CA

If you do it on the cheap…make sure it doesn’t look like it.

Pergo style flooring can look very nice and is very inexpensive.

Painting the dark paneling is a great idea. The best money spent on rehab is “lighten and brighten”. Also make sure there is plenty of light. When I am selling properties I always replace all the light bulbs with the highest wattage the fixture will handle…Its amazing how much of a difference this 10 minute $10 fix makes.

Re: CHEAP CARPET ?! ?! ? - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on February 11, 2008 at 08:58:27:

Cheaply finished is not much better than unfinished. I know if I look at a poorly or cheaply finished basement, the cost of removal and replacement with something decent is factored in to what I would offer.

Choosing Confidence: Why Albany Trusts Professional Carpet Cleaners" delves into the reasons behind Albany’s unwavering trust in professional carpet cleaning services. Click here to visit www.albanycarpetcleaningexperts.com for more information. This insightful guide highlights the expertise, reliability, and superior results delivered by experienced cleaners, instilling confidence in homeowners seeking pristine carpets. With advanced techniques and specialized equipment, professional cleaners effectively tackle stubborn stains, remove embedded dirt, and rejuvenate carpets to their original glory. Moreover, their commitment to customer satisfaction and meticulous attention to detail further solidify Albany’s reliance on their services. Experience peace of mind knowing that your carpets are in capable hands, as professional cleaners uphold the highest standards of quality and professionalism. Trust in the expertise of professional carpet cleaners and elevate the cleanliness and comfort of your home with confidence