Cash Flow - Posted by Steve T.

Posted by Alex SC on September 04, 2007 at 15:33:56:

Yes those markets are decreasing.As my Charlotte market is getting alot of the northern traffic.So investing in good in our market just depends what avenues one desires.

Cash Flow - Posted by Steve T.

Posted by Steve T. on September 02, 2007 at 20:20:53:

I’m interested in purchasing a couple cash flow properties and have been advised to look in western New York and Toledo Ohio areas. The numbers sure seem to work, however I’m not real comfortable with the areas. Any thoughts?

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by William Flood

Posted by William Flood on September 04, 2007 at 16:20:35:

Toledo can be rough. You need to know the neighborhoods. It’s pretty “rust belt” in a lot of places. The good news is that it’s a river-city going through some redevelopment and has decent potential.

I’m in Ohio if you have other questions you want to ask.

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Mary (CA)

Posted by Mary (CA) on September 03, 2007 at 15:45:23:

I’ve heard that advice too. But here’s my take on it.

Cash flow is great, but is only one of the returns an investor looks at. While appreciation is considered speculative, planning for depreciation (a decrease in the value of the property while you hold it) seems risky. Wasn’t it Warren Buffett who said investors hate risk?

Western NY, OH, IL, IN, MI, and PA are some of the areas I’ve been told will have decreasing population over the next few years. decreasing population = decreasing market = decreasing demand = decreasing price = deflation, no?

Mary

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on September 03, 2007 at 12:20:35:

I’ve never understood… unless your getting larger commercial props that can afford management, expenses and the like…

Why not just invest in your own backyard…

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Allan

Posted by Allan on September 02, 2007 at 20:48:50:

I know of inventories of properties in MS, let me know if it will interest you, it will definitely cash flow with minimum investment…

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on September 03, 2007 at 16:52:23:

>>>>>>>>Western NY, OH, IL, IN, MI, and PA are some of the areas I’ve been told will have decreasing population over the next few years. decreasing population = decreasing market = decreasing demand = decreasing price = deflation, no?>>>>>>>>>

I am not sure if these areas are experiencing decreasing population (I only keep tabs on a few markets out west) but if they are…that would drive rents down as well. Which would mean that cash flow would not be guaranteed but actually speculative.

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on September 03, 2007 at 19:25:45:

Some people’s back yards would never make sense for investment. Just depends on where you live. I used to have units here in the SF area and management them myself. In many ways it was a lot easier (I had all the info I needed all the time and was not on the phone multiple times asking for the same info over and over). But even with that, my back yard was very negative on a good month.

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Suzanne Lane

Posted by Suzanne Lane on September 03, 2007 at 16:50:57:

We have access to an exclusive wholesale property delivery program called the “Investor Concierge” through a real estate educational company that we belong to. Yes, Ohio is a steady market. We currently own a property in Amelia Ohio that cashflows us over $250 a month. Check out our websites at www.investinglifeissweet.com and www.realmarketexperts. to learn more about how to utilize the research of experts all across the country. The Real Market Experts are franchises and were set up that way for comsumer protection. Please contact me for further info.

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on September 03, 2007 at 19:20:34:

These areas, called the “rust belt” in the media, have had declining populations for years, so this is nothing new. In fact, by 2010, assuming no change in trends, FL will replace NY as the nations 3rd largest state.

Declining areas actually lose housing price value first as people rent rather than see their purchases decline in value. This actually pushes rental prices up because of more demand and no new construction (who would build a new apartment complex in a declining area).

Re: Cash Flow - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on September 03, 2007 at 19:57:51:

I think this Nouveau Riche “stuff” has been covered in the Carleton Sheets newsgroup.