Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Caleb Boddicker

Posted by Darla on April 06, 1999 at 07:33:02:

Bravo for you. Never give up. Readand study now. Use an adult if possible. You may even find someone on this site willing to help out. Rich Dad Poof Dad is a wonderful way to start. Just think of how much knowledge you can have by the time you are 18. Most of us wish we had started at your age!!! You are an inspiration to all!!!

Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Caleb Boddicker

Posted by Caleb Boddicker on April 02, 1999 at 24:37:22:

Hello my name is Caleb and I am 12 years old. Although some people say I’m too young, I want to invest in real estate anyway. I have a lot of hope and am willing to work as hard as I can. Can any of you veterans give me a few tips? If I am old enough what courses/books should I buy? Do you think I am too young (don’t be afraid to answer truthfully)
post a message or e-mail me
e-mail= bodds@lcc.net

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on April 09, 1999 at 10:53:53:

Just because your not of legal age to sign a contract, does not mean you still cant do the foot work, run the numbers and get the practice. Even if its only a what if situation right now. You may just find something where the numbers work solid, that you may want to take to your parents and say “Mom, Dad this is what it looks like on paper… Would you be interested in following up for me to see how it might work out.” Who knows you may even open their eyes too. In anycase you would be learning something just by doing the footwork. And
NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE THAT KNOWLEGE AWAY FROM YOU!!!
I suggest that you approach your parents, the worst they could say is NO. Just keep reading and learning reguardless. Play the numbers on paper, and when you do hit 18 you will be way ahead of many of us were at that age…
I salute you for your courage and insite!!!
Eric

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 02, 1999 at 21:48:42:

I really admire you Caleb. Another good book for you to read is the Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason. It tells alot about making money while also telling stories. Listen to everybodys advice below.

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on April 02, 1999 at 18:03:07:

Hi Caleb:

The information you’ve received is correct. At your age you’re too young to enter into contracts on your own?.but here’s a few thoughts for you.

I’d buy the book “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki and read and reread it carefully. I think it will give you some good ideas. Even if you’re too young to enter contracts, you’re not to young to start developing the qualities that will later lead to your success as a real estate investor. I think this book will help you formulate some ideas that will help you for the rest of your life?and open your mind up to some possibilities right now. Part of the book concerns a story of Robert’s life when he was a young man.

Once you’ve read the book, you might sit down and have a discussion with your Mom and Dad. You might be able to open their eyes up to the great possibilities in real estate. If you are successful in that, it’s possible for them to do transactions for your benefit. This can be done legally?you’ll just need their help.

Even if your Mom and Dad aren’t particularly interested I wouldn’t let that stop your desire. It’s refreshing to see a young man like yourself taking initiative. I can tell you I started earning money at a very early age?and many of the things I learned back then are things that I still use today.

Good luck to you?and if I can be of further help to you feel free to email me at any time.

JPiper

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 02, 1999 at 15:35:34:

Caleb,

It is really nice to hear someone so young wanting to do something so “adult”. But the fact of the matter is Charles brought up the fact that anything you sign would not be legally binding.

But don’t let that hold you back by keeping up with this board and keep educating yourself. Get Robert Kiyosaki’s books and start understanding how the rich work and think. You may end up doing some entreprenerial things in the next few years that will make your life much easier when you finally hit 18.

Don’t lose hope!

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by Charles-DFW

Posted by Charles-DFW on April 02, 1999 at 01:54:28:

To do real estate investing you have to enter into contractual agreements.

Minors (people under 18 yrs old) are not bound to any (except for rare exceptions) contractual agreement they enter.

So nobody will enter into a contractual agreement with you, because you, being a minor, do not legally have to do what you said you would do.

Bottom line, yes you are to young to do real estate. You can work with an adult, being to young does’nt won’t last forever.

Good luck,
Charles

Re: Can a 12 year old do real estate? - Posted by CJVandorn

Posted by CJVandorn on April 07, 1999 at 21:06:24:

You are never too old to do anything in this world, just remember that. But you must be 18 to sign legal contracts. Remember it’s okay to trust your parents, or family as long as everything is in writing and you have your own lawyer. In case things don’t work out between family. :slight_smile: Take care CJVandorn