Button it UP! - Posted by David S

Posted by Carey_PA on August 21, 2001 at 12:38:26:

Button it UP! - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on August 21, 2001 at 09:49:22:

After reading numerous posts concerning “late payments”, “deadbeat tenants/buyers”, etc, I thought I’d post a tidbit of info that may help some of you keep your deals from falling apart. It sure has worked for me.

As a master sales closer, I have learned many ways to… ask for the sale; “Do you want me to write this up for you and your family Mr. Jones?”. “Can I gift wrap this one for you today Mrs. Smith?” etc

Just as important is the “button up close” also called the “take away close”. A very important “tool” that when properly used, can keep your deals from falling out of bed. This type of close is used after all of the paperwork has been filled out and you are ready to leave the table, almost…

Here’s an example; “Now that we have all of the paperwork filled out Mr/Mrs Jones, I need to say a few words and I want you to listen very carefully. If for ANY reason you feel you may not be able to make your payments on time or that you may not be able to meet your obligation under the terms of our agreement, I would rather just tear up the paperwork RIGHT NOW and part friends. Now Mr/Mrs Jones, are you in this for the long haul?”

Yes

“I’m glad to hear that Mr/Mrs Jones. A long time ago I actually had a buyer that called me said that they weren’t going to be able to make their payment due to the death of a relative; And do you know what I said?.. I told them that my family needed to eat, my kids are the most important thing in my life, and that I would allow nothing to stand in the way of their college education fund. Under NO circumstances would I allow anyone to make a late payment no matter what reason or excuse they come up with… and I’ve heard them all Mr/Mrs Jones; “I’ve lost my job”, “My wife is ill”, “My car was broken and had to be fixed”, the list of excuses goes on and on.”

“So Mr/Mrs Jones, let me ask you once again… Are you really in this for the long haul?”

“Good. It will be a pleasure to work with you.”

Any variation of this type of “button up close” can keep your buyers from ever even considering pulling your string. It may seem somewhat cold to some, but when properly used this can save some of the marginal deals and you won’t hear alot of petty excuses.

In just over 25 yrs, I’ve only had one that said “let’er RIP” and he was going to try to beat me anyway.

David S