Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by Jerry L. Crowder

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on January 27, 2004 at 16:35:23:

To add to what Michael posted, it’s certainly cheaper to buy used than build unless you are doing so on a large scale and if you intend to sell them they must meet HUD code. Easier to build stick built homes.
Joe C. (AR)

Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by Jerry L. Crowder

Posted by Jerry L. Crowder on January 27, 2004 at 13:03:52:

Question: Can you build your own mobile home? As I start to read and study the mobile home business, it appears that a mobile home would not be that hard to construct. If you can, I would like to get some information on the process and where assistance or support is availiable for the “do-it-yourselfer”. Thanks for any information that you can provide me!

Re: Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on July 12, 2004 at 19:38:38:

Seems like these people can’t stand to see a guy get ahead. If I were you Pal, I’d go ahead and build it anyway. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not a good idea because it is! More power to ya man! Charlie

Could make your own tin can too - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on January 29, 2004 at 11:21:57:

But, why would you, when you can find these larger, livable tin cans from free to really cheap?

Re: Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by Charles K Clarkson (TX)

Posted by Charles K Clarkson (TX) on January 28, 2004 at 18:15:33:

Jerry L. Crowder asked:
“Can you build your own mobile home?”

I can’t, but it is possible. Mobile homes are usually built by companies employing many of the same craftsmen that build homes that don’t come with wheels.

Jerry L. Crowder added:
“As I start to read and study the mobile home business, it appears that a mobile home would not be that hard to construct.”

IMO, it is more difficult to construct a mobile home than it is to construct a home without wheels. The larger problem would be the design. Stop at a magazine rack and you’ll probably find thousands of home plans available for a few bucks and postage. You will not find one plan for a mobile home. Yet a mobile home must meet laws and rules of multiple jurisdictions, HUD, and a plethora of other regulations.

Jerry L. Crowder continued:
“If you can, I would like to get some information on the process and where assistance or support is available for the “do-it-yourselfer”. Thanks for any information that you can provide me!”

Jerry, there are no D-I-Y mobile home builders. Any single person with the skills to design and build their own mobile home from scratch already has a high-paying job as a top engineer or is a business owner and is unlikely to live in his creation.

You can get some information on the process of building a mobile home by visiting a local builder. Tell them you are interested in seeing a mobile home being built. Many will give you a tour of their facilities and explain the home-building process. I think you will find that building a mobile home from scratch is not as easy a task as you might believe.

Good Luck

This reminds me… - Posted by jp

Posted by jp on January 28, 2004 at 16:50:09:

…of the guy who converted his mobile home into a drivable vehicle. Put a V8 in there and put some controls and another axle. Saved big money when it came time to move it. I would have paid big money to see it. I’d also pay to see this guys home built mobile. Hey! That’s it! He can make money by selling tickets!!!

For some odd reason… this seems relivant… - Posted by The55+GuyFromAZ

Posted by The55+GuyFromAZ on January 28, 2004 at 15:14:49:

S.A.T. TESTING

Q: Name the four seasons.
A: Salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar

Q: Explain the processes by which water can be made safe to drink.
A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large
pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists.

Q: How is dew formed?
A: The sun shines down on the leaves and makes them perspire.

Q: What is a planet?
A: A body of earth surrounded by sky.

Q: What causes the tides in the ocean?
A: The tides are a fight between the Earth and the Moon. All water tends
to flow toward the moon because there is no water on the moon and nature
abhors a vacuum. I forget where the sun joins in this fight.

Q: In a democratic society, how important are elections?
A: Very important. Sex can only happen when a male gets an election.

Q: What are steroids?
A: Things for keeping carpets on the stairs.

Q: What happens to your body as you age?
A: When you get old, so do your bowels and you get intercontinental.

Q: What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty?
A: He says good-bye to his boyhood and looks forward to adultery.

Q: Name a major disease associated with cigarettes.
A: Premature death.

Q: How can you delay milk turning sour?
A: Keep it in the cow.

Q: How are the main parts of the body categorized? (e.g., abdomen.)
A: The body is consisted into three parts - the brainium, the borax and
the abdominal cavity. The brainium contains the brain, the borax contains
the heart and lungs and the abdominal cavity contains the five bowels, A, E,
I, O and U.

Q: What is the Fibula?
A: A small lie.

Q: What does “varicose” mean?
A: Nearby.

Q: What is the most common form of birth control?
A: Most people prevent contraption by wearing a condominium.

Q. Give the meaning of the term “caesarean Section”
A. The caesarian section is a district in Rome.

Q: What is a seizure?
A: A Roman Emperor…

Q: What is a terminal illness?
A: When you are sick at the airport.

Q: Give an example of a fungus. What is a characteristic feature?
A: Mushrooms. They always grow in damp places and so they look like
umbrellas.

Q: What does the word “benign” mean?
A: Benign is what you will be after you be eight.

Q: What is a turbine?
A: Something an Arab wears on his head.

Re: Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by bo

Posted by bo on January 27, 2004 at 20:44:43:

I’m not sure how to do it Jerry,but it sounds like a great idea.You could build a heat pump to hook up to it too.And while your at it you might as well build some appliances for it.With some scrap metal ,duct tape ,and coat hangers you should be able to fashion a nice fridge.And when your through you can build a tractor rig to pull it around with.Let me know how it turns out.

Re: Building Your Own Mobile Home? - Posted by Michael (KCMO)

Posted by Michael (KCMO) on January 27, 2004 at 13:59:08:

Jerry,

My first thought is: Why would you want to build your own MH? What is it you hope to accomplish by doing so? If you’re hoping to save money I would definitely not suggest trying to build your own. If your trying to save some cash I would simply say to find yourself a good deal on a used home. There are many great ideas in the archives on how to do just that so I won’t get into it here.

If your goal is something other than saving money, then perhaps it would be a worthwhile endeavor to build your own. Say perhaps if you were just bored and wanted something to keep you busy for a long time, cause lots of frustration, and you happen to have an innate fascination w/ Rube Goldberg contraptions - b/c building your own would definitely prove a lot more trouble than simply finding a good deal on a used one.

Just my thoughts. I’m sure there are others.

Regards,
Michael (KCMO)

Although did you notice… - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on January 29, 2004 at 16:45:34:

Did you notice we never heard anymore from that guy other then he built it?? Wonder if he met some ill fate driving it? Or is he still in jail for the violations of driving that on a public road?

Although did you notice… - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on January 29, 2004 at 16:44:31:

Did you notice…

LMAO and that’s no fibula…NT - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on January 28, 2004 at 17:50:25:

`