Building confidence - Posted by RussJ

Posted by Russj on February 10, 2001 at 09:33:56:

Practicing on FSBO’s is a good idea. I hadn’t thought about that.

Building confidence - Posted by RussJ

Posted by RussJ on February 09, 2001 at 20:43:21:

I wanted to throw out an idea I had to see what everyone thought. I’m in the process of learning everything I can about REI and am about ready to “jump”.

One concern I have been having is not sounding confident enough when people are calling me from I BUY HOUSES ads, flyers, etc. since I haven’t done any deals yet. I was thinking that if my wife (who is getting as excited as I am) answered the calls and said “Oh! you are wanting to sell your house, well my husband is the one that does this and he is not here right now, but I have a list of questions that we can go through and I’ll pass the information to him when he gets home and if he’s interested, he can give you a call back.” Then she can go through the typical questions about mortgages, why their selling, etc, etc…

The seller wouldn’t be expecting her to be fully knowledgable and she could ask the questions that we need answers to without worrying about “the confidence factor”.

We could do this for the first couple just so that we can get some deals under our belt and feel more confident. This would give us time to learn by doing without blowing a deal because we are newbies.

Do you think this is a good way of getting past the jitters?

Re: Building confidence - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on February 10, 2001 at 06:21:20:

Russ,
that is what my wife and I do. I work in corp. America and she stays home. She answers all phone calls and just gives a general overview of what we do and then gets all the information. Then I come home and decifer everything.

I couldn’t do it without my wife…I think I’ll give her a bonus! LOL

I’m a newbie as well, but after several weeks of phone calls, I’m building more confidence and kind of excited to call people and talk with them. Just comes with experience. Good luck!

Re: Building confidence - Posted by Charles Steed

Posted by Charles Steed on February 09, 2001 at 23:14:15:

I’m guessing you know the questions to determine a sellers motivation, will he carry paper, why selling, etc. Make 5 phone calls every day to FSBOs and ask these questions. Keep it conversational. Make it fun. Practise is the key. Before long, it becomes easy. Remember, they can’t see you, and are only concerned with your ability to help, so don’t sweat it. Best wishes.

Re: Building confidence - Posted by Mark - IL

Posted by Mark - IL on February 09, 2001 at 21:19:21:

I think your Idea sounds like a great one. The fact that you are trying to do something to get the wheels in motion is important. Most people would just be too nervious to do anything. This might also help in the fact that people will think you are really there to help the people out instead of a corp. trying to take advantage of them.
With your wife answering the phone this may give it a more personal approach. I know I have used my wife serveral times and she can weed out the serious ones vs. the silly ones. It also helps to build a relationship with these people. Anyway sounds like a plan to me. Good luck and don’t give up.

Mark - IL