bought at sheriff sale now what? - Posted by mike

Posted by x on February 23, 2006 at 05:59:42:

Place a call to an eviction lawyer. Let them handle it. If you don’t know a good one, go to your local real estate investors association meeting and ask around. They should be able to tell you who the good ones are.

bought at sheriff sale now what? - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on February 22, 2006 at 21:49:47:

i bought a home at sheriff sale and the homeowners are still living there how does everyone get them out. do you just go to the door and offer cash.

Re: bought at sheriff sale now what? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on February 23, 2006 at 14:35:11:

Mike,

I’m assuming there is no redemption period in your area.

When I buy at auction, I start eviction proceedings immediately. I stop by and attempt to talk with them first and let them know what I’m doing, but I cut them no slack and give them no money. A lot of investors are very successful giving people cash for keys. I just don’t do it.

By the way, they know they need to move…don’t let them behave like this just happened yesterday. It’s been in the works for months and possibly years.

–Natalie

Re: bought at sheriff sale now what? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on February 23, 2006 at 14:22:03:

Before you call an eviction lawyer, go talk to the people. Let them know that after the dust settled at the auction, you wound up owner of the house after paying off the large amount of money that was owed on the house. Have an attitude that is considerate of the situation and let them know that you understand their woes. However, also let them know that since you now own the house, you need to be able to get in there and work on it and that they have to move on. Offer them some cash that will “help them move on with life” if they are out within x days and the place is left in its current condition. Then if they aren’t gone after x days and don’t seem to be making an effort to move, start the eviction process. But keep in mind, a carrot makes things go more smoothly than a stick. But a stick is always around for backup.