Best real estate job recommendation? - Posted by David (Tampa)

Posted by Marcus on April 13, 2004 at 07:56:43:

I would eliminate options 2-4. I don’t think you’d learn alot doing those jobs. You could do number 1, and if you do, make sure you are partnered up with a real DEALMAKER who has been in this business for a while. And, I wouldn’t go out pounding the streets with flyers. I would learn how to work the courthouse research angle, and possibly get your dealmaker partner to pay for postage for mailings to a couple different categories of people: (1) landlords who have filed for eviction recently on their tenants, (2) people with judgments against them, (3) lis pendens that have real estate attached to them, (4) properties facing foreclosure. Finally, if you become a birddog, get at least $1000 per deal, and once you’ve done 1 or 2 of those with your dealmaker, ask him/her to start walking you through the transactions so that you can learn yourself. Your 5th option could be good too, because you would really learn about the courthouse research angle. But you can simply pay a title examiner $100 to work with you for a few hours at your local courthouse, and teach you how to do the research. Your final options of being a mortgage broker or a RE agent would be great, but I don’t think they would put immedate cash in your pocket. The key is to have some source of income, even if minimal, so that you can have a small marketing budget. Good luck.

Best real estate job recommendation? - Posted by David (Tampa)

Posted by David (Tampa) on April 12, 2004 at 21:34:43:

Hey everyone!

I need a job to make a living and pay the bills while I learning about wholesaling and would like to get my flipping business off the ground in a month or two with any luck.

At first I thought the two best jobs would be a real estate agent or a mortgage broker but they are both commission based jobs and that can make things very tough when you are essentially earning commission in any business venture; so…

I have narrowed my choices down to these jobs- what do you recommend. Please voice your opinions and if you have other ideas I havn’t thought of, please leave a post.

1. Bird dogging
  2. telemarketing for a mortgage company.
  3. mortgage loan processer.
  4. real estate assistant.
  5. title searcher at title company.

Thank You!
David

Re: Best real estate job recommendation? - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on April 13, 2004 at 19:05:06:

I think a good real estate job is one that has flexible hours. I wouldn’t necessarily get a job that was RE-related.

I have lots of friends in the RE industry, but what they do day in and day out wouldn’t really prepare them to be investors. Being a real estate professional (finance, sales, legal, escrow, etc.) is very different from being a real estate investor (rehabber, landlord, wholesaler, etc.). If you’re looking to learn the business, I wouldn’t look to an RE job for that. The way you learn, IMO, is to get out there and slop it up. You go through the books or courses. You annoy real estate agents. You call up FSBOs and say all the wrong things and trip over your words. No job is gonna give you that experience, except maybe scouting for an investor.

I have a guy that scouts for me full-time, and I pay him a salary plus bonuses. He’s sharp, but I know he’ll never do deals on his own. That’s why I hired him. If I thought he’d ever be a competitor, I wouldn’t use him. If you can find an investor that will pay you non-commission, go for it.

I think those other jobs would suk, but that’s me. I did title research for a while. I used to research owner-financed notes for myself, and I’d flip some of my contracts. I learned what I needed to know in about a week. A few months later, one of the title researchers hired me on. Nothing I did for him benefited me in RE investing.

When I started in RE I had a job driving a bobtail 2 weekdays from 1pm to midnight. I worked in a warehouse on weekends from 1am to noon. That was full-time work, but it left me plenty of regular hours to go out and find deals, and that’s what I did. I had 3 weekdays all to myself, and a few hours on weekends. If I’da had a regular 8-5 job it would have been much tougher to learn RE.

Anyway, excuse the long post.

There are a lot of good jobs in the real estate industry. The best paying jobs in real estate include, the famous real estate agents, realtors, real estate director or real estate broker. These are just a few job options, but there are a lot more. You should do some research and find the one that you think it fits you the best and go ahead and try it.

Stay at the forefront of your job search with Expertini’s cutting-edge Ai tools, meticulously designed to elevate and refine your professional profile. Our innovative technology analyzes key aspects of your profile, identifying strengths and areas for improvement, ensuring that you present yourself effectively to potential employers. With personalized recommendations and insights, you can tailor your job applications with confidence, knowing that you’re showcasing your best self. Expertini’s Ai tools empower you to stay ahead in the competitive job market, providing you with the tools and resources needed to stand out from the crowd. Explore opportunities in gov jobs and contribute to public service through meaningful employment. Let Expertini’s Ai tools enhance your profile and maximize your job search success today.