Before I take the Deed...... - Posted by Marc(NJ)

Posted by Michael on May 25, 2002 at 16:50:42:

Telling a newbie to ask a clerk to teach them how to do title searches is seriously bad advice. Even JP,
who is an attorney and used to dealing with legal documents, doesn’t trust her own experienced self to do searches.

The first part of your post is solid however.

michael

Before I take the Deed… - Posted by Marc(NJ)

Posted by Marc(NJ) on May 24, 2002 at 21:40:44:

House has ARV of 110k,needs about 12k in repairs.
Sellers willing to vacate, but xhusband has interest.
Should’nt be a problem getting him to sign quitclaim.
Problem is how or where to find info on all leins and judgements,and back taxes easily. Is there one web site that has this info or must I go to court house and then where?
This would be my first sub 2 deal, also it is in a recessed neiborhood. Any info will be greatly appreciated,if anyone of the pros could walk me thru this one it’ll be great!

A few ways to go… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on May 25, 2002 at 17:57:01:

To be totally safe, I would order a full blown title search. I use Title Services of NJ in East Brunswick.
It may take a couple of weeks and run $250 but at least you would know the whole picture. If you are pressed for time, then at least call the local tax collector. Give them the block and lot and they will tell you if there are any municipal tax and or sewer liens on the property and any other outstanding taxes
not yet a lien. Some foreclosure magazines sold in 7-11
have ads from title companies who will do a cursory lien search for $ 99.00 or so. Also check out superiorinfo.com. They do on-line lien searches for NJ but you may have to subscribe. Hope this helps.

Re: Before I take the Deed… - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on May 25, 2002 at 01:56:59:

You can always get the deed, then check it out later.

If your search comes up with lots owed, you lose the deed.

RL

Re: Before I take the Deed… - Posted by Alicia

Posted by Alicia on May 24, 2002 at 22:34:08:

Anytime I get the details worked out on any deal, I sign a purchase and sale agreement and then either order title insurance or a title search. I usually purchase title insurance for my subject to deals if I think for a minute there may be title issues after the deal is done. I also always take all my subject to deals in a land trust. I do this for lots of reasons but the best one is that once a property is in a land trust, a lien from the previous owner can not attach to the house. If you dont know if there will be any title issues, order what is called a pre-title comitment (sorry if spelled wrong). What this is a title search with the right to update it to a title insurance policy at a small fee. If you order a title search and them decide to purchase a title policy, u will pay full price for both (unless you have a good relationship with a title company already).

Your other choice is to go to the courthouse and do the search yourself. Just go to the register of deeds and tell them you need help looking up leans on a particular property. They will show you how to do it. Then check with the treasurer for tax info. Hope this helps.

Alicia