Becoming an Agent - Posted by Liliana

Posted by Taiyo on March 30, 2004 at 18:26:11:

When I decided to become a full time investor in 1988 (been investing since 1974), I felt that a Broker’s license would help me me find potentially better deals ahead of the general public. However, my Attorney advised me to get rid of my license ( I did not tell him I was getting my license). I did not understand why. But I did as he advised and had my license revoked within a month of receiving it.

My investing was primarily SFR - hold for cash flow or sell after a period of time for profit. I did 1031 exchanges and did it again & again. In 1988, I became a land investor. I primarily did double escrows. My buy escrow would close then 5 minutes later my sale escrow would close. Using 1031 exchanges, did it again and again. I learned why my Attorney wanted me to get rid of my Broker’s license. Here in California, if I had a license I would be required to tell the Seller of the property I was purchasing, I was selling his property for substantial profit in a very short period of time.

Since then I have gone into Commercial Real Estate now back to houses. Without a license it has made it possible to go to other Areas (locally and out of state) to invest.

I use Agents, Brokers, word of mouth and Services (who provide me with NODs and TD sales information). I have learned the better deals are in the Agent’s and Broker’s pockets not the MLS or what they talk about.

After you have established a repoire and trust (not that you have done a deal with them, but that you can). They might provide information of the better deals. If they do, and you are able to complete a deal, you will be on their inside track. They will not tell you of deals they are trying to complete themselves, but they can’t buy all the deals they know about. Sometimes they can not complete their deal and you maybe able to step in and complete it after they have expended their own time and effort (compensation to them, what you feel is fair). They will give information regarding a Seller who does not want to list but wants to sell. I will pay them a Buyer’s commission (no set amount, but what is fair) if I am able to complete a deal with the information they provided. I may use 25+ Agents and Brokers in the same Area. Few listen, most don’t.

If you need cash flow, a License may be a good option. If you don’t, I believe it is far more efficient to use the Agents and Brokers. They are like your employees who you do not have to pay,

The key to me is to be fair to everyone involved in the deal. The Seller, Information Provider and to yourself. I have paid 10% commissions on the Sale end and still made substantial profits. Maybe not on that one deal, but on the deals to follow (they will come).

Becoming an Agent - Posted by Liliana

Posted by Liliana on March 30, 2004 at 10:43:50:

Me again! I wanted to get people’s opinions on becoming an agent. I see positive things on doing this, can anyone point out negative ones? I think this can teach a lot about Real Estate plus it helps me get out of my unchallenging job that I am in. I don’t mind the work for now but the work I do, like I said, its unchallenging.

Thanks!
Liliana

Re: Becoming an Agent - Posted by Liliana

Posted by Liliana on March 31, 2004 at 10:24:22:

Thanks to everyone who has replied…I have lots to think about.

Liliana

Re: Becoming an Agent - Posted by Cheryl Lopez

Posted by Cheryl Lopez on March 30, 2004 at 19:24:39:

TO: LILIANA

This is not a “negative” point about real estate … but I wanted to share this with you which helped me survive real estate for 14 years during a few slow markets.

YOU SHOULD SPECIALIZE IN AN AREA OF REAL ESTATE !

Select between many areas in real estate: commercial, income, investments, apartments, business, condo, vacation property, first-time home buyers, relocation, property management, senior housing, etc. With specializing in a specific service … then you can cover a wider area (if you like) and you have an easier market and name recogition for the speciality.

I have been in real estate for 14 years. Starting out in 1990 in California during when prices sliding down and with no seller or buyer activity … it was extremely difficult. I stumpled into listing mobile homes in parks. Now I list & sell “the whole park” for park business owners. I absolutely love the park business owners and buyers purchasing park. I started with Northern California … now central California … working down to Southern California … and handling referrals to agents in other states on their listings. This year I expanded to included RV park.

So … decide what area would be best for your location and study a real estate speciality service which is limited or you feel you could handled it better !

Cheryl Lopez

Read this first - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on March 30, 2004 at 18:47:21:

Re: Becoming an Agent - Posted by Karen

Posted by Karen on March 30, 2004 at 10:53:40:

I am in realtor and it is not at all like I expected but I generally love what I do. I decide who I want to work with and my hours. I do get call all hours and sometimes it is hard to take a day off. It is a couple of thousands to get started first schooling and then post license then you will need to join the local realtor board or most brokers will not hire you and you need to subscribe to MLS then you will need to send out mailing and other forms of advertising. Most areas have electric lock boxes here they are $80 a piece and 45 a quarter for the keypad. With real estate you make what you put into it. But if you sell something today and it doesn’t close for 30 days you will be 30 days without a check. If you want any more info you can email me karen.silver@exittc.com