Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by R. James

Posted by Joe Kaiser on August 08, 2006 at 19:07:55:

Luke,

There’s a large group of people who, for whatever reason, hate agents.
The “you aren’t an agent, are you?” line comes up all the time.

I love being able to say, “heck no, do I have to be?”

And then I let them tell me why they won’t deal with agents, period.
You can present yourself anyway you want, but it won’t get you far with
someone who hates agents.

Joe

Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by R. James

Posted by R. James on August 04, 2006 at 21:09:08:

Okay, I really don’t want you to bash realtors as I am thinking about the profession. I am having troubles getting any input or advice from a realtors perspective. Could someone please advise me on the benefits or negatives to being a realtor/licensed agent and doing creative deals/REI? Thanks for any comments.

Re: Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on August 06, 2006 at 20:34:06:

I think it’s a good idea for a couple reasons:

1. If you are talking to somone interested in selling and you find out they are not motivated but would still like to sell…you know have a potential listing.

2. It’s not very difficult and you can do it along with investing.

3. You get access to the MLS which gives you comps, exired listings as well as brand new listings without having to bother a RE agent every time.

4. You get access to great market info.

5. It gets your name out there to people as much or more than investing does.

The list goes on…

The only drawback that I know of is a rumor. I’ve heard that brokers regualte or even prohibit their agents buying properties subject 2.
I’ve talked to some agents and there does seem to be some truth to that but I would differ with each broker it seems.

I’m all for it though!
Luke

Re: Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on August 06, 2006 at 14:11:19:

No need to do that, they do enough of it themselves. If you want to sell other people’s property, by all means get a license. It’s required. However, if you are a true investor only, you have no need and it can just get in your way.

Re: Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by jean

Posted by jean on August 05, 2006 at 11:37:36:

As much as I realize you must reveal this to buyer/sellers, etc., don’t you think this can decrease the trust your sellers/buyers have in the transaction? I called a FSBO last week and he gladly spoke about the property for about 10 minutes, and then said, " your probably a realtor aren’t you". So I wonder if you find this affecting your trust in any given situation.

Tons of info in archives - Posted by Sharyn SJR

Posted by Sharyn SJR on August 04, 2006 at 21:44:20:

Research archives for “real estate license”.

I have my RE license to buy and sell my own properties and reseach comps. In a wholesale transaction, I tell seller “I do have a RE license but I am not looking to list your house”. It will also have to be disclosed in contract I believe depending on state.

Sharyn
SJR Properties, LLC

Re: Bash Realtors Here! - Posted by Luke

Posted by Luke on August 06, 2006 at 20:29:39:

I’ve heard this argument before and have to disagree.

If you sell the owner on that fact that because you are a realtor you have experience and knowlege of how the system works so they are actually getting the services of a professional realtor (walking them through closing) without paying any commissions.

It’s just how you present yourself.
Luke

Re: Tons of info in archives - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on August 06, 2006 at 08:23:13:

Sharyn, you don’t NEED a RE license to market your OWN properties I believe. If you do have that license to “rock and roll” your own investment properties, won’t that red flag the IRS into putting you at dealer status with inventory? Taxes could be an issue. Just my thinking.