Bandit Signs - Three Questions... - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by David Alexander on February 18, 2002 at 01:02:36:

most every city across the nation, every weekend… the Homebuilders put there signs out along the sides of the roads for folks out house shopping to see…

These signs are put out generally by outside subcontractors and sign companies… they are put out on Friday Afternoons and taken down on Sunday evenings… Keep an eye and you will see them…

David Alexander

Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on February 16, 2002 at 21:56:54:

Every time I talk to an investor who’s having success in marketing they almost all say that most of their leads come from Bandit Signs.

I guess I better get over my ‘fear’ of having someone from the city come down on me and order some of these signs!!!

In my area - someone goes around and mutilates signs (removing part of the number.) I’m sure it’s against regulations - but the politicians are putting their signs up all over the place right now.

Three questions:

1. What are the best places to put these bandit signs and what places should be avoided (also what techniques for hanging, stapling, pounding, etc.)

2. How many should go out at a time…?

3. What’s the ‘worst’ thing that’s ever happened to anyone because of a bandit sign?

Thanks alot.

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on February 16, 2002 at 23:33:19:

1- I stick them on the ground , I use wood stakes, I DOnt put them near highways because they last only a few hours, someone removes them and it’s not done by public workers, they dont work on the weekends, I put out 50 every weekend, friday,saturday, sunday.
the worst thing was this police officer calling me but that was it, no fines just a warning.
actually the worst thing was this gentleman calling saying that he would turn my head a thousand times and make me eat the signs.
I got an average of 2- 3 calls a day

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 16, 2002 at 22:50:33:

I have to say that I’ve been doing some experimenting over the last few months. I’ve run ads in 4 throw-away type newspapers, Pennysaver, Thrifty Nickel, etc. and I also put out 25 bandit signs per month (7 per week, an easy goal). I must get 3 times as many calls off of my signs as I do the ads. 100 signs cost me about $60 total and 2 hours of time to make (cheap handwritten do-it-yourself signs that I have my wife write up). The 4 ads cost me about $200 per month. Amazing.

I generally stick them in the ground using metal stakes. I’ve tried nailing them to a pole but it seems like I get a ton more calls with them on the ground. I put them near major intersections where traffic can see them and at stop signs exiting neighborhoods. They go either right at the intersection corner or on a vacant lot type area nearby. I normally place them outside the city limits, because the county employees are sometimes much slower to respond.

I choose 25 signs a month (7 a week) because it’s an easy goal to hit. It also makes me be consistent, considering alot of the signs disappear within a few short days. Some people do 100 a month, but that is alot of work unless you plan on paying someone to do it, otherwise they end up sitting in my garage or the back of my truck. I put them out as a drive around every day. It takes minimal extra time.

The worst thing I ever had happen to me is one time a code enforcement officer called and asked me to take the sign down, which I did.

Just my .02.

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on February 17, 2002 at 22:30:24:

If you don’t put them near highways, then where are you putting them? Inside the subdivisions in someone elses yards? :slight_smile:

Do you mean highways as in major highways vs. main roads?

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on February 17, 2002 at 17:23:05:

1. What is the best time of day to go out and put the signs up…?
  2. For the hand-made signs, what materials do you use to make them?
  3. Where can I buy metal posts and how do they attach to the signs?
  4. If I use wooden posts, again where’s the best place to buy and how should I attach the signs.
  5. If I wanted to hire someone to put these sign up - where would I look for this service?

Thanks!

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by Jon

Posted by Jon on February 17, 2002 at 24:39:40:

I haven’t tried to handwrite my signs yet but I am now giving it a thought. In your opinion do you think the handwritten ones look as good as or professional as the ones done by the sign makers. I am worried about not looking like a professional.

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on February 18, 2002 at 06:32:38:

I mean highway ramps (exit) they’ve gone in a few hours if put them there, I pick low traffic streets where they might last 2 or 3 weeks , Instead of highways, also I look for empty land lots close(around)to schools where the vehicles are forced to drive at 15 mph 3 times a day.

Answers to Question #5. - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on February 17, 2002 at 21:45:18:

Heidi,

Here are a few answers to question #5.

Ask investors at your local REI club.
Call other bandit sign users and ask who they use.
Ask your sign maker.

Hope this helps.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by Mike-WA

Posted by Mike-WA on February 17, 2002 at 20:47:40:

Ya know…I swore off bandit signs, but read post by folks who had good success. So…I ponied up, bought and put out 1000 signs over a 3 month period. Cost $2k for the signs and the time to put them up. I got THREE CALLS…At this point I think bandit signs suck. They are labor intensive and I get so many more calls from my I Buy Houses ad in the paper. My 2 cents…

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 17, 2002 at 20:27:16:

1. I normally put mine up on Fridays after lunch. I figure most of the city/county employees are starting to wind down for the weekend and less apt to take my signs down. Just my opinion.

2. The materials I use are cloroplast for the signs, and metal for the stakes. I order the cloroplast from a plastics wholesaler in town. 100 signs = $40 plus tax. Like David said though, writing up the signs isn’t time efficient. I have my wife help me with this. She’s a stay at home mom (works her buns off for me and the kids – but she gets paid well.)

3. The metal stakes stick into the flues of the sign. Just like any other cloroplast sign. The stakes I use are found in the concrete department at Home Depot. They are shaped like a ladder but of course are much narrower. Home Depot calls it “wire mesh.” An 8 foot piece costs $1.59 at my store and becomes 6 stakes equaling 20 cents per stake.

4. I’ve never used wooden posts.

5. Be creative. I’m sure you can find somebody somewhere.

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on February 17, 2002 at 18:41:06:

1 - after 11 pm
2-n/a
3-people love to steal metal posts(mine)
4- home depot , just nail them to the signs, use a short nail
5-I do it myself I wouldn’t hire anyone to do it, How can you trust them? It’s my opinion.

I can answer a couple… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 17, 2002 at 18:38:28:

1. Best time is your choice… If you do it yourself…

2. Handmade signs can’t answer that one… but, I’m sure Rob can… My opinion is have them made… far cheaper in the long run… as far time etc… You’ll never get rich doing the work yourself.

3. Again… Rob can answer that one… I’ve yet to find the metal posts he talk about…

4. Wooden Stakes are available at your local Home Depot, Lowes etc… about .30 each… Use roofing nails (1")to attach them… the kind that have the little plastic washer… so that the wind doenst blow your sign off the stake.

5. Train your own person… Call local signs companies… go out in the evenings when the builder signs are being picked up and ask those guys who to talk to… get a phone number and call them direct…

I even have one friend that has an ex code enforcement officer put them out for him… they know the places the CE’s don’t go… so the signs last longer…

David Alexander

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 17, 2002 at 20:17:17:

All I know is it hasn’t been a problem for me. I get plenty of calls and have never used a professionally printed sign for this.

Re: Bandit Signs - Three Questions… - Posted by Stardave

Posted by Stardave on February 17, 2002 at 07:31:06:

I wouldn’t worry about that as long it readable,look good.I don’t have any problem with that! I still getting calls.

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on February 18, 2002 at 20:23:36:

With 2k I would buy at least 2000 bandit signs, first time I heard bandit signs were worthless,You got very unlucky, or maybe there’s something very wrong with your bandit signs,or maybe you’ve hired kids to put out your bandit signs and they ended up not doing a good job, just some speculation, I 'm getting calls at least ,2-3 a day, deals are extremely skinny&risky at this moment,I guess it depends in your area.

Where did you put them… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 17, 2002 at 22:19:02:

In Your Garage… ?

Lol… sorry I couldn’t resist… Just can’t see putting 1000 signs out and getting No Response…

Maybe we can help…

What did your signs…

What was the color scheme…

Size…

How were they posted…

Who posted them…

Were you signs going to a voicemail or were you directly answering the calls…

David Alexander

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 17, 2002 at 22:19:00:

I looked all over home depot and lowes…

I’ll look in the concrete department next… and call it wire mesh instead of stakes…

Thanks for the tips,

David Alexander

What do you mean by “builder signs?” - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on February 17, 2002 at 23:59:23:

Re: Bandit Signs - Five More Questions… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 18, 2002 at 10:06:46:

It’s ladder shaped, but made of wire. I use bolt cutters to cut it down to size.