Anyone using this tool? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Clinton on March 17, 2011 at 05:23:36:

Our trim crew had 2 multimasters and used them everyday to do all kinds of projects. I’m cheap so for my personal use I bought the Sonicrafter. It is almost as good and less than 1/2 the price. It will plunge cut laminate. On e-bay they sell a bushing adaptor that allows the Sonicrafter to use blades made by other manufacturers. I got the adaptor and get the blades from Harbor Freight for $7 apiece. You can also get blades for around $6.25 if you buy them in bulk on ebay. It’s one of the best tools I own. I am a full time remodeling contratctor and use the thing almost every day.
Clinton

Anyone using this tool? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 16, 2011 at 15:52:38:

Sometime back there was several posts that mentioned this type of tool and from what I recall, people really loved them.

I think they may have posted it by a brand name or else I just can’t find it for some other reason using the archive search.

Brenda I believe was one who may have posted about this tool.

The one at Lowes is called the Rockwell Sonicrafter. It is the tool with interchangeable heads that allow you to plunge cut, sand, scrape, saw etc. using the oscillating heads.

I have a number of jobs coming up that this tool might come in handy for but I have never used one. Are there brands you prefer over others?

Will this by chance plunge cut through laminate flooring (now that would be too cool). What mobile home repairs do you use this type of tool for.

Thanks,

Tony

Tool Update - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 01, 2011 at 10:32:35:

After the discussion in this string I went to Northern Tools and decided to buy the “Klutch Multi-Function Variable-Speed Oscillating Tool Kit with Engraver” for $79.99

The engraver was just a bonus, I had not needed it but no doubt will try it out on something.

This tool has proven to be outstanding and well built. I could not justify paying more at this point.

When I got to the store the price was listed as $89 instead of the online price of $79. I find this is common at Northern tools and they always match the online price, no questions asked.

The $10 discount helped out even more when the clerk asked if I wanted the 2 year extended warrantee (comes with a one year) for $9.99.

Now I almost never do this but this time I chose the extended plan because, as the clerk explained, “if it breaks just bring it back to the store and we will hand you a new one.” No shipping it off and waiting was well worth the $9 for me and gave me a piece of mind for buying a lesser priced model than many other stores offer.

The biggest concern most had was the price of the different accessories, cutting blades etc.

I bought a pack of 3 for $7.99 well below the fein $25 deal I had been hearing about. Actually this package says these will also fit the Fein so maybe this will help Brenda out.

I have used this tool a lot on the rehab of my old stick built house and can see where it would have many uses in the mobile home rehabs as well. I could not have done the current job without it.

So for those who like a good price and a decent tool I would recommend this one and with the $9, 3 year replacement warrantee I don’t see how you can go wrong (at least not at this point).

Tony

Re: Anyone using this tool? - Posted by ryan

Posted by ryan on March 17, 2011 at 10:32:26:

the rockwell corded version is the one that you want…THIS IS THE MOST USED TOOL NOW IN MY TOOL BOX…the only fault that i have is the one that i bought from lowes came in a cloth bag, the one that you get from rockwell online is in a hord case…not a big deal at all… a must have

yes - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on March 17, 2011 at 09:45:34:

I use the Dremel version - same uses as mentioned.

fein multimaster - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on March 16, 2011 at 18:12:15:

I have the name brand, $300+ one. the blades are much more heavy duty than the dremel or craftsman version.

the lowest end one is harbor freight has one for $40?

the blades are available after market at times, the fein multimaster blades are way too expensive.

I have plunge cut laminate, made weird shapes in it, diagonals, etc. it is great.

it is also awesome for finishing up the corner cuts if you used the circular saw to cut ruined subfloor, at the spots that the saw won’t fit.

I use it all the time as a woman friendly, highly controllable substitute for a sawsall…

the metal blades, I am not so impressed with, but they will cut the bolts off of toilet tanks, without breaking the porcelein, if you are very very careful and take your time.

best use, is the one they advertise, cutting off bottoms of molding to fit new laminate flooring…

I also use the tool quite often on door repairs, to do little bits of trimming.

you can also sand in tight spaces with the triangle shape head attachment…

I have cut window frames out of walls, the wall board, paneling, laminate, bolts, scraped off goop off of counter top wood before replacing the laminate, trimmed out areas for hinges in doors, etc etc etc…

the blades don’t last long, the time savings and frustration avoidance, worth it… if you get the heavy duty version… if you get the lighter version, probably can only do the lighter weight tasks.

woodcraft stores have the multimasters on display that you can try them. home depot has the craftsman version set up at times, especially around fathers day.

as always, check ebay and amazon. be sure to get the toolless blade change version if you look into used ones.

Brenda