Anyone rehabbing houses in multiple market areas? - Posted by Ryan (NE)

Posted by David Krulac on March 17, 2011 at 16:35:02:

I’m one of those who has always recommended staying close to home, for lots of good reasons, including you know your market better than markets at a distance and you save a bunch of travel time. Driving in a car or even a plane is such a waster of time.

That being said I’ve known people that have sucessfully invested outside their markets. One person I knew lived in Wash DC and had 20 houses in FL. Another lived in CA and had houses in OK. Sisters from CA had houses in NM. But of the people that I know they weren’t rehabbing in their own market and another at a distance. Most of those above were looking for cheaper places to invest, rather than their high priced home areas.

If you’re a 4 hr drive away, how often would you have that trip. To me making it more than once a week, for 8 hrs roundtrip is more time than I’d spend sitting in a car, but that’s me. If you’re working a 40 hr 5 day week an extra 8 hrs driving will pretty much kill your weekend free time.

Anyone rehabbing houses in multiple market areas? - Posted by Ryan (NE)

Posted by Ryan (NE) on March 17, 2011 at 11:57:23:

I have read on this site from others that owning properties from a distance i.e. more than just a two hour drive, or even across the country, is not always recommended. I live in a smaller market area and would like to consider adding a larger market approximately 3 to 4 hour drive away to allow me to go full-time.

Is anyone having success rehabbing houses in two different market areas? In the market that is outside of your primary market what suggestions do you have for managing the projects on a day-to-day basis and ultimately continuing your success (profit)?

Any ideas and input are welcome, any war stories might also be helpful.

Thanks for your insight.