anyone own a billboard - Posted by Frank

Posted by Roderick on December 19, 2003 at 12:25:06:

I would like to know start up cost and any other information needed to own a billboard sign.Thank you

anyone own a billboard - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on September 24, 2003 at 07:26:54:

I have a property under contract that meets all the requirements to be able to put up a billboard. How does one go about renting the space? Does each individual owner do their own marketing for the space? Or are their companies that line up these people for say a 10% commision? Appreciate any input.

Re: anyone own a billboard - Posted by Mike G

Posted by Mike G on September 25, 2003 at 12:59:39:

I don’t own a billboard and am certainly no expert here. But I do know that most billboards are owned by large media companies, like Clear Channel and Viacom, who have their own salesforce dedicated to securing advertisers. I doubt they’d do this for a third party for a commission, but don’t take my word for it. However, you may be able to sell them that billboard and rent them the land its on. Not exactly sure how this works. I’m sure if you went to cnbc.com and downloaded the 10-k for these large public companies, they’d explain the industry dynamics in great detail.

Just my thoughts.

Re: anyone own a billboard - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on September 24, 2003 at 11:51:25:

Hi Frank -

Well, its been a while since I’ve owned a couple of these – or, I should say that I leased the ground to a national sign company.

All the major players (there aren’t many left) and the regionals have the drive-by stats (traffic data) and will determine whether or not the site meets their criteria.

If so, they usually pay an annual rent – make sure you know what others are being paid – check around.

Once they lease the space, they construct the sign, arrange for advertisers, and handle all the ad artwork. You don’t do anything but cash their check.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Eric C

PS - some of the smaller regionals are more aggressive than the nationals and may be more interested in your location, but that may or may not translate into higher ground rents for you.