Anyone ever been fined for... - Posted by GregNY

Posted by Paul Baughman on May 10, 2002 at 18:31:14:

Technically bird dogging ,in this sense in not a real estate transaction, is it? There are no contracts involved. All the bird dogger is doing is selling information. Not even that. A bird dogger will bring information to an investor and will only get paid if the investor goes through with the deal. Isn’t that the way it works?
I don’t see how this would be considered a real estate transaction.
Do you know what they do consider a real estate transaction?

Best regards,
Paul Baughman

Anyone ever been fined for… - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 22, 2002 at 14:42:59:

Birddogging or know anyone that has?

This topic is bugging me and I would like to know
if and how someone has been fined. TO ME bird dogging
has rules just like every other real estate niche.
You must follow the rules to stay out of trouble.

I just want to know if anyone has ever gotten in trouble
for passing along information for a fee?
Hmmm, selling a course that contains information for a fee.
Do you need to be licensed for that?

Just wondering,

GregNY

Re: Anyone ever been fined for… - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on January 22, 2002 at 20:36:07:

The bird dog lives by no rules. He is a loner. A rebel. A …

OK really now … a “bird dog” is just a person who is giving you tips on where you might find deals. There’s certainly nothing wrong or illegal with that. There’s also no handbook or book of SOP. (maybe there should be!)

As long as he doesn’t “charge a commission” but simply collects a fee, he (or she) should be just fine.

RL

Re: Anyone ever been fined for… - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on January 22, 2002 at 16:16:36:

It would be a fine thing if you could get in trouble for talking about who wants to sell his house. I don’t think the Taliban, the Pope or Hitler ever went that far.

There are no rules. You do not need a license to shoot off your mouth in private.

If you wanted to be real icky about it you could look up the law of slander and libel and make sure you don’t insult the guy’s house even if it is a dump Ha Ha. Also be sure to get a receipt if you recieve a fee so you can pay income tax on it. Double Ha Ha.

I disagree… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on January 23, 2002 at 07:31:53:

the state laws are different, but in many states it is illegal for an unlicensed person to accept payment for real estate services, this includes bird dogiing, property management, and selling property that you don’t “own”. Check your state law on this issue. on the other hand it is difficult to catch, particularily if you don’t advertise/broadcast that fact. Usually the State Real Estate Commission will be acting on a complaint. That complaint can come from a consumer, say one who has some grievance, or a licensed person feeling that they are losing some business.
hth
David Krulac

Hope to see you at the convention… - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 22, 2002 at 20:23:37:

I’ve been following your posts and I must say,
I like you attitude. You’re a smart a** but at
the same time, you teach a good course.

GregNY
drinks on me

Hmmm … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on January 23, 2002 at 08:40:05:

So you’re saying if I tell you that 123 Main St is thinking of selling their property … you go and purchase the property and slip me $100 … this is illegal? That doesn’t sound right … but if you know this for sure I must take your word for it.

I can understand interference with a contract (if the property was listed), or advertising that could be confused with offering (inlicensed) prof. RE services for a fee, but this I’m not so sure.

RL

Re: Hope to see you at the convention… - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on January 23, 2002 at 09:16:09:

Thanks, I think. If it wasn’t fun I wouldn’t do it. Post here I mean.

Re: Hmmm … - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on January 23, 2002 at 19:37:24:

Red,
In Pa. no unlicensed person can accept a fee for a real estate transaction, I can’t speak to any other state.

David Krulac