Another St. Pete FL Park Bites the Dust - Posted by Jeff Morelock

Posted by Jeff Morelock on April 20, 2004 at 23:45:15:

That’s how it is in St. Petersburg. You can go before the board, and say, “I was thinking about buying a mobile home park in your city and was wondering if I could…” you’d be cut off by a board member saying, “Throw the elderly out on their butts and force the lower income people to live on the street so you can put up condos, sure - no problem. Heck you may even want to open a strip club on the top floor of your building - just promise us you’ll get rid of the MHP.”

Another St. Pete FL Park Bites the Dust - Posted by Jeff Morelock

Posted by Jeff Morelock on April 19, 2004 at 20:12:45:

I am an active mobile homes investor in ST. Petersburg FL and was shocked to hear that my favorite MHP (a nice family park right on Tampa Bay) has been sold and will be turned into a condo development. That’s the fourth park in the last year or so to bite the dust.

The homeowners assoc had first right of refusal, but a judge over-ruled that in a private meeting in chambers. What’s worse is I have a multi-home deal in this park with an investor from the UK lined up.

It seems that ST. Petersburg is trying to get rid off all MHP since property value has skyrocked around 58 %.

And the reason for that is… - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on April 20, 2004 at 07:50:51:

that they want the tax income from the higher assessed values. We’ll see much more of this in the coming years.
Lyal

Re: And the reason for that is… - Posted by Bert_NH

Posted by Bert_NH on April 20, 2004 at 19:51:58:

I bought a park in a rapidly growing seacoast NH town 15 months ago. When I went to the town for a variance to allow me to place park model RVs in my park (casue some of my lots are too small for todays larger single wides), the Town Planner reminded me of the commercial value of my land today and that I should just close the park, evict all the tenants and sell the land to an Outback Steakhouse or some other such concern that would be willing to pay me handsomely for my property. Can you imagine, the town planner saying that? Unbelievable!!!