Another Approach - Posted by NAW

Posted by Jim IL on November 10, 2000 at 15:50:40:

Eric,
Not being familiar with your states foreclosure system this may be wrong, but check it out and see.
In my area when a home is in “pre-foreclosure” there is a Sheriff’s auction date set.
The sheriff publishes a list of the homes to be sold and on what date.
This list usually has homes being sold as fast as the next week and as far off as many months.
From this list you will see the property address and a court file number.
You can take that file number and pull the actual file from the court clerk and obtain information.
Then, you can mail the home owners a letter telling them that you exist and are here to help.
You can also get a copy of the Lis Pendens files recently in the recorder of deeds office, and get the same info.
I know that some states have either Sheriff’s sales or Trustee sales and some have both.
Goto your county courthouse or whereever these files are kept and look around.
This will get you a list of “Pre-foreclosures.”

I can tell you frankly that I have not had much luck in buying homes this way.
For me, most of the sellers who did call were too far behind for me to help, and the rest just did not call at all, hoping for that last minute foreclosure miracle.
Denial was the biggest issue I faced with these sellers.

Good luck to you,
Jim IL

Another Approach - Posted by NAW

Posted by NAW on November 09, 2000 at 15:28:39:

I recently received the foreclosure list for Houston and mailed about 700 letters to individuals on the list. I received 6 responses and none turned into a viable deal. Should I take another approach or is there a special way I should word my letter to get more calls?

Re: Another Approach - Posted by Eric Fl

Posted by Eric Fl on November 09, 2000 at 16:33:38:

How did you get your foreclosure list?

Re: Another Approach - Posted by Nicole

Posted by Nicole on November 09, 2000 at 18:40:44:

The FLS (Foreclosure Listing Service), sells the list monthly. They are here in Houston

Re: Another Approach - Posted by Eric Fl

Posted by Eric Fl on November 09, 2000 at 20:36:40:

Do you know how I can get a PRE-FORECLOSURE list?

The list you get is it HUD, REO, and VA? I all ready get this list once a month. Is that the list you send letters out on?

Thanks for all your help

Eric and Danielle