And I thought I'd seen everything - Posted by Dave Fl.

Posted by Dave - WA on July 14, 2003 at 15:20:33:

To prevent this in the future could a park require in the rental agreement that anyone dismantling a trailer has a set period of time to do it in. And they would have to put up a $1000 clean-up deposit that they would forfeit if they don’t clean-up the lot.

And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Dave Fl.

Posted by Dave Fl. on July 14, 2003 at 11:32:47:

I manage a park and this is a first. We have a mom and son who blame us for all their troubles so to get even they have bought some land in N.C. They are in the process of moving their MH from my park to N.C. Trouble is, its an old, 1969 12x40 that they added a 12x40 room to the side of that is stick built. So they are taking it apart, stick by stick, transporting the pieces to N.C. from Fl. They then intend to demolish the trailer on site. The part they can’t easily move they are moving, the part that has wheels they are not moving. I know they could buy new material in N.C. cheaper than what they are saving here, especially when this will take 2-3 months. They could be working all this time and making money. All this so the park won’t get a free old trailer. Its been for sale for 3 years and no takers but they won’t lower the price and its somehow our fault. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense just to irritate someone you will never see again. Or maybe I’m missing something here. Anyhow, we have wished them well and told them what a great idea this is. Anybody got a MH, we got an empty lot in west Fl.?
Thanks for listening, Dave Fl.

Re: And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Dan - GA

Posted by Dan - GA on July 14, 2003 at 15:04:10:

Dave:
Are you looking to buy a trailer when this lot is vacant?
Since the old trailer is pretty small, how large of a trailer will the lot hold? I’ve got access to some good quality, newer repos.

If they’re paying rent, and slowly dismantling the old trailer, count it a blessing. I had a tenant walk out on a similar sized trailer, and then tell me it belonged to her boyfriend who was in jail, who she hasn’t seen in over 10 years. After several legal attempts to solve the problem, the trailer “collapsed” into 2 dumpsters at my expense. If they want their trailer and add on room that badly, let them take it.

Re: And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on July 14, 2003 at 11:53:09:

“Seems like a lot of trouble and expense just to irritate someone you will never see again.”

That’s exactly what it is, and exactly why they’re doing it.

Personally, I’d have bought the home from them before I’d have let them take it apart piece by piece. As it is your looking at loosing maybe 3 months of lot rent, and cleaning up after them to boot. Far better and easier to have bought the home for a few dollars and called it a day.

Re: And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Dave Fl.

Posted by Dave Fl. on July 14, 2003 at 12:32:32:

We tried to buy it. They wanted 17 grand for a 2 grand MH. They stripped the inside before we even knew they were moving it. Even stripped, they want 10 times its worth. They own it and rent the dirt and as long as they pay the lot rent, we can’t stop them. Demolition permits are not required here so thats not a help to us. They claim they will leave a clean lot when they are done, we’ll see.

Re: And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Steve (Id)

Posted by Steve (Id) on July 14, 2003 at 13:39:18:

I’ve got a hunch this is gonna cost you money. When they discover that they can’t dispose of asbestos laden material (floor tiles, insulation etc.) they are gonna bail and leave it up to you. If they stripped the inside without you even knowing, they could certainly make a one way trip to N.C without you ever knowing. And you’re right, you’ll never see them again. I promise you they will get to a point that they don’t want to mess with it anymore and that pile of garbage is gonna be yours.

If I were you, I’d give them an absolute date that they must be done, and watch it closely. I’ve been at this too long to sit and wait and wonder what was going to happen next with some nutty renter. You need to set the time line and have it go according to your schedule. Else you’ll be sitting there saying “I’m sure they’ll be back to get it”, when they have cut their losses and never intend to return. You could sit there for 3 days or three weeks…wondering.

Re: And I thought I’d seen everything - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on July 14, 2003 at 12:51:14:

Chalk it up to “live and learn”.